FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM workflow for LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geof Gilland
XDCAM workflow for LHe
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:26:59 pm

Trying to figure out a workflow for XDCAM HD material. Shoot 1080i/59.94, 50mbps. If my finished timeline will be output thru the AJALHe,HD, 1080i/59.94, do my sequence settings need to be XDCAM, Apple ProRes or something other? Will rendering be required before outputting the sequence? Thanks , geof.

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
Re: XDCAM workflow for LHe
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:30:13 pm

I currently work in XDCAMex which is almost identical to XDCAMHD and I have a KonaLHe. So here is my SOP.

Use log and transfer to get your clips into a bin.
Make a new sequence.
Drop your first clip into the sequence and click YES to auto conform the sequences settings to the clip.
Go to sequence settings and make sure that in the render control tab under CODEC you choose Apple Prores 422.

That means that your renders will be in the more robust Prores format.
Then go to the FINALCUT menu line, then down to AUDIO-VIDEO settings and click. In the dialog box under video playback choose: AJAKONA LH 1080i 29.97 8 bit (1920x1080) Make sure that the audio playback says AJAKonaLH.

You pick 8 bits as opposed to 10 bits because XDCAMHD is only 8 bits to begin with!

How is your monitor hooked up?

Nate

Return to posts index

Geof Gilland
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:59:31 pm

THANKS. Appreciate the advice on the workflow. Haven't hooked up monitor yet, just got card installed and machine/computer and FCP installed, updated, etc. Do you have suggestions as to monitoring? Obviously something other than the computer monitor. We typically use TVLOgic 7 or 17 inch for monitoring.

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:23:05 pm

I'm using a Dell 2408WFBb monitor which has a variety of inputs including analog RGB (or Y-Pb-Pr) and HDMI but NO HD-SDI!!! You can get an HD-SDI to HDMI converter but as you can see if you look at this post I'm actually sorting out a problem with just such a device right now!

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/878585

I've had pretty good luck with that Dell using analog RGB but it takes a while to tweak it to look close to what's on the desktop. Really it is better to get a monitor that has HD-SDI inputs but that ups the price considerably. Others could chime in. It just depends on what you need to do. Client monitor? The Dell or equivalent probably will be just fine. Color Correcting? I don't trust it, I use my desktop monitors if I'm doing a 3-way color correction in FCP.

Hope that helps.

Nate

Return to posts index

David Achilles
on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:20:34 pm

Have you had any difficulty with the Kona card keeping in sync with your timeline? I too use XDCAM EX and have had trouble as of late when editing in multiclip mode. The Kona visually slips and can't stay in sync, whereas on the FCP desktop the footage is in sync. I have my system configured the same as yours.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]