FORUMS: list search recent posts

downconverting from Kona to BM Decklink

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chemix Ferreiro
downconverting from Kona to BM Decklink
on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:47:27 am

Hello there (double posting on Blackmagic forum)

I'm trying to downconvert from 1080i (HDV timeline) to SD using both Macs at the studio, sending SDI out from Kona2 KBox downconverted to BM Decklink extreme SDI in. Results are less than acceptable... low, low quality signal...

Should I get a nice, clean SD signal from this workflow? Any clues?

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: downconverting from Kona to BM Decklink
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:58:51 pm

DId the Kona2 work with HDV? I can't remember.

Are you using the Kona control panel for this? That is, how exactly are you performing the down convert?

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
Re: downconverting from Kona to BM Decklink
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:36:03 pm

Hi Jeremy

I've been trying to output a downconverted SDI signal from (either) one of the stations, feeding the SDI input of the other station, thinking 'wow, this is gonna be piece-o-cake... audio+video together... hi quality hardware converters...' No way. The signal gets degraded somewhere along the way.

Using the AJA control panel, you can setup one (or both) SDI outs to carry a SD signal (that's how you'll copy to betacam for example) I've done it maaaany times and the results are great, pristine SD video. Same thing can be done from the Decklink control panel.

However, when I feed that SDI signal to the other edit suite and capture it in FCP the quality isn't there anymore...

Therefore I've gone back to the ol' compressor way, tweaking endlessly until I've got acceptable results.

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]