FORUMS: list search recent posts

So very new at this...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Seth Thompson
So very new at this...
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:07:42 pm

I have been put in charge of the video of a new church auditorium. We use a Panasonic mixer that outputs 1080i 29.97 through an SD cable to a Mac Pro's KONA Lhi card. Our goal is to record and live stream our services. We just moved into this building last month and have had about 4 services so far. Originally, we were streaming live using FME and using it's "save file" option. We did this successfully for the first 2 services. Then, I thought that the quality of the FLV file it was making was not good enough so I looked into recording the service with Final Cut Pro's Capture and Log while we streamed. When I did, FCP recored about 3 seconds and then stopped saying "droped frames were found is the last capture". Ever since then, no matter how many different configurations I try, FME will not encode consistently. It breaks our 90 min of streaming into about 90 FLV files because the encoding keeps stopping and restarting. The longest it will go is about 10 min, but the average is about a minute. FCP still will not capture, AJA VTR xchange won't even show a preview.

My first question is is even it possible to stream with FME and capture with FCP simultaneously? My second question is what would make the FME have to keep starting over encoding? It's log is not very helpful, and I am pretty sure it is not due to the bandwidth. Last, is there a better way to do this, i.e have you noticed that I am doing this the dumb/hard way and should try something completely different?

Thanks for your time and please be patient with me,
-Seth

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: So very new at this...
on Jun 6, 2011 at 11:26:22 pm

Seth,

"FCP still will not capture, AJA VTR xchange won't even show a preview."

your setup is not designed for creating a directly steamable content. Kona Cards really only write to Post production quality codecs like those used for editing, not those used for web streaming such as flash or h.264.

You need to have a dedicated tool to handle those types of delivery.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Seth Thompson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:51:11 pm

Could you be more specific to the dedicated tool? And you're saying that the KONA card was made to do what then? It takes a video input, what diff does it make if it is coming from a VTR or a camera or a mixer?

I was able last night to get FME to encode without stopping, I just have to make it the only thing running, even tho this is a dual core xenon with 6GB.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:23:19 pm

[gary adcock] "Kona Cards really only write to Post production quality codecs like those used for editing, not those used for web streaming such as flash or h.264. "

I thought this statement was pretty self explainatory.

The kona cards are not designed to create FLV files for flash delivery, like delivering of H.264 you need to capture in one format then process the file so that it can be delivered as a different codec.

There are dedicated platforms to do this,however your kona card is NOT designed for capturing for anything other than post production.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:37:23 am

Seth, outputting one set of audio- video off your mixer board towards a Kona card for recording or editing, and running a same or different set of audio- video off your mixer board towards a BlackMagic Design H.264 Video Recorder or H.264 Recorder Pro for live streaming, would be a common workflow. The BlackMagic Design, and Kona cannot be in the same computer, nevermind software conflicts. If you use the output pickoffs of the Kona card to drive the BlackMagic card for streaming, you would have to be excessively careful about setting signal levels then leaving other adjustments alone. I have 2 friends who already do this. If you drop me a message on my e- mail then their answers turned into your results and failures could be your next post here. Norman Willis in Israel also does this as found in the Creative Cow Net. Gary is right.
educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

Seth Thompson
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:45:53 am

Fred,

Thanks a lot, That's an excellent solution. The other solution I came up with was to downgrade the composite signal to s video and record it with a DVR. Now I just need to decide which one I want to do. Very helpful, thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:38:18 pm

Seth,
If you have any more issues, you need help with, give me a call. I minister to churches needing help, advice or production.
Don Walker
903-733-2808

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]