FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on HDCAM Workflow in/out

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Hampton
Need advice on HDCAM Workflow in/out
on May 28, 2011 at 4:49:15 pm

Hi all
I'm receiving a film transferred HDCAM (not SR) at 23.98 that I need to do some editing and then re-output back to HDCAM. I'm using FCP7 with Kona LHe with both internal 2tb sata and esata drives.

What is best way to ingest and output this content? I'd like to work uncompressed but not sure if my system can handle it. However if I use Prores will the quality hold up? If so, what setting should I use?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Bret

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Need advice on HDCAM Workflow in/out
on May 28, 2011 at 9:17:18 pm

yes - prores will "hold up". Almost no one uses uncompressed HD - not only does almost everyone use some flavor of Apple ProRes422 (HQ, 4444, etc.), some people use DVCProHD (also compressed), and ALL AVID users use compressed HD (AVID DNxHD145, or AVID DNxHD220).

So stop this nonsense with uncompressed HD. If you are delivering for TV networks (or lower), then ProRes will work for you - just like it works for the rest of the world.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on May 28, 2011 at 10:48:18 pm

Hi Bob

Thanks for your insights. My project is for Blu-ray, it's a famous silent film from the 1920s which I have to color tint and do some film restoration. It will also probably be broadcast on TCM. For this purpose do you think it makes any sense to do 4444 over HQ?

Also if you happen to know this, I have the original film script as a text file we'd like to add as a blu-ray extra. Some people say I can supply the authoring people a pdf file which I was trying to create in Adobe Illustrator, however their artboard limit is 100 pages and the script is 130. I thought of supplying Act 1 and Act 2 files to overcome this.

I just looked at the new blu-ray of Taxi Driver and they created an interactive script/film feature, where the script follows in sync (or independently) with picture in picture at various sizes.

If I could make the script do that, or at least appear onscreen one or two pages at a time I think that would be great. I just don't know what I have to provide to author it that way. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bret

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 29, 2011 at 12:49:52 pm

[Bret Hampton] " For this purpose do you think it makes any sense to do 4444 over HQ?"

Why?

your HDCam Tape master is an 8bit 3:1:1 recording on the tape, and nothing you do will ever make that better once it has been captured to tape.

Save the 444 and HQ versions for something that is actually a 10Bit master recording. SQ and LT will more than suffice for your system and needs here.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2011 at 8:14:09 pm

working in uncompressed will do nothing for you. Do the job in 422HQ, and call it a day.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]