FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 - DVCPRO 720 capture settings in Final Cut

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Robel
Kona 2 - DVCPRO 720 capture settings in Final Cut
on May 12, 2011 at 4:15:02 pm

Hello all-
Been searching through the forums to find info on this topic and found a couple of answers, however not sure of them all. I was wondering if anyone would give me some advice on this issue:

Have Kona 2 with K-box breakout and control panel is 6.0.3. Running Final Cut 6.0.6 on a G5 Power PC. Have the old Medea FCR 10 drive Fibre channel Raid so more than enough capture speed.

I will be taking SD VHS and DVD converting from a composite/component to SDI mini, and then into the Kona 2. I am working on a film for this material editing in DVCPRO 23.98 sequence settings since I shot the film with the Panasonic HPX170 set at 720 at 24PN. I know that the Kona 2 will not convert timings in upconvert mode, so I am setting it to upconvert from the 525i29.97 to 720P 59.94. (is this correct?) Then the plan is to just do the timing convert in Compressor and bring them back in. However, in my Capture settings in Final Cut I cannot find Kona 2 DVCPROHD settings for 720 of any kind- I should be able to do the upconvert from the SD signal right to a DVCPRO format correct? Just wondering if I have the wrong idea about this. Is it a possible control panel version I need? Any advice would be greatly appriciated-
Thank you
Eric

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Kona 2 - DVCPRO 720 capture settings in Final Cut
on May 12, 2011 at 4:28:13 pm

Since you are using legacy software and hardware, you may wish to contact AJA Technical Support for assistance with your configuration.

You can find the last driver release for the KONA 2 here:
http://www.aja.com/support/konaNEW/kona-2.php

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on May 18, 2011 at 12:35:15 am

There are no settings to capture to DVCPROHD on the kona. You have to capture to uncompressed or apple pro-res. I have an LHI and I go through the same thing. You have to bypass the Kona and capture firewire 800 to capture in the DVCPRO HD codec. I usually just capture to 720 pro res and work that way.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on May 18, 2011 at 1:02:36 am

AJA does provide Easy Setups so that you can capture to the DVCPRO HD codec. You may not have these easy setups installed on your system, however, because you elected to do a "Base" install when you first installed the AJA driver.

If you have the installer, you can run it again, elect not to install the driver and "Base" Easy Setups and just install the Additional Easy Setups you desire.

If you need assistance with this, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 18, 2011 at 1:27:01 pm

[Chad Tingle] "There are no settings to capture to DVCPROHD on the kona. You have to capture to uncompressed or apple pro-res. I have an LHI and I go through the same thing."

Chad,

this is undeniably false, I have worked with Aja on this since the begining of the DVCProHD support came to FCP and I can assure all the readers out there that the Kona Cards do indeed support DVCProHD.

Additiionally the Kona tools have the ability to capture the Variable frame rate capabilites of the Tape based Varicams properly whether or not the user wants to capture as UC, ProRes or DVCProHD.

I have these 3 listed in the Library / Application support / Final Cut Studio just to handle the VFR flagged content in 720 or 1080.

AJA KONA 3- 720p 23.98 DVCPro HD VFR
AJA KONA 3- 720p 25 DVCPro HD VFR
AJA KONA 3- 1080p 23.98 DVCPro HD VFR

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on May 18, 2011 at 1:39:19 pm

I stand corrected Gary!! thanks for the info.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]