FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Mic direct to KONA?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Nava
Wireless Mic direct to KONA?
on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:27:34 am

Hi everyone... Searched the boards but didn't see an answer..... Is it possible to connect a wireless or shotgun mic directly to a KONA LHi card via the "AES in" connector on the breakout cable?

Ive am using FCS 7.0.3, Macpro, tons of RAM etc.....

All I hope to do is record VO directly to timeline from a stick mic thru the LHi. dosent seem too tough but afetr hour of messing with it I find myself here...Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Nava

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr.
Re: Wireless Mic direct to KONA?
on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:47:37 pm

Problem solving 102-

Does you wireless/shotgun base have AES or Analog XLR out?

If not you can't do it.

If yes you can do it.

No if you can do it, do you want to record/digitize while playing back a timeline?

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:07:05 pm

LHi has analog audio inputs right? The AES is digital so you can't go there unless you have a digital converter.

Just connect to the Analog XLR input, then in the Log and Capture panel, just select Audio Only and you're good to go.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:21:07 pm

you will likely need a mic preamp to get the signal up to line level for the analog inputs on the LHi
mic>preamp>line in

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Ron Nava
on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:16:04 pm

Thanks to everyone that posted..... A mixer IS required to get line levels......Looks like SDI out of cam into KONA

Thanks again.....Cow forums are the best

Nava

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 26, 2011 at 7:03:20 am

Another reason for using the mixer board and often pre-amp between the microphone and Kona besides audio gain and signal to noise ratio is that the tone quality of the microphone often needs to be adjusted. Perking up treble is common although in all fairness I`ve occasionally run across audio situations where treble is not behind and the gain too. Although what is so much more common is to find that the microphone sounds dull from too little treble, even if I pull the foam cap sometimes found on them off, and besides, when I am testing microphones I often find that the electrical impedance that each microphone fires into needs to be adjusted for otherwise the tone quality will be crude ringing. I sometimes already have XLR sockets waiting on my mixer board with the tested non- standard impedance but it is also possible to run adapter barrels or cords in between with the resistors inside them so I don`t have to do odd soldering inside the mixer board. Using the internal microphone on your camcorder usually (not always) results in some non professional quality audio in your production. Wireless mics don`t need pre-amplifiers but do need mixer boards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]