aja dpx converter color range tag

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Etienne Kordys
aja dpx converter color range tag
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:35:47 pm

hi all,
i will be happy if yo can answer my question:
i get dpx files from my telecine, now i would like to transfer it to quicktime wit the aja translator tool. later i will translate them back to dpx to bring them on a 35mm cinecopy.
my dxpfiles are natively 10 bit hd log files. which color range tag i have to choose now in the translator? there is a option: "full range" or "smpte".
on my research i found that the smpte color range is for log files and the full range for linear files (video cameras?)
Is it right that i have to translate them with the smpte color range tag? (is this option really important in the translator?)

thank you. greetings
etienne

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: aja dpx converter color range tag
on Apr 18, 2011 at 6:54:10 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/876602

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Etienne Kordys
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:15:55 pm

hi,
in all the forum threads i cant find a real answer to my question. please answer me in some sentences. iam really not sure wich option is the right one for my workflow.
thx
etienne

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:00:12 pm

Are you going back out to a film print?
I would think you would be best in 10 bit Full space if you are treating the files in some way, DI or VFX
I'm not sure what in fact you are doing other than you have been given dpx from a film scan.
Are these rushes or a finished piece? Are you cutting in video to generate a neg cut on the film or VFX for some existing shots?
What exactly are you doing?

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]