FORUMS: list search recent posts

3G capture plays back double speed in FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bradley Whalen
3G capture plays back double speed in FCP
on Mar 23, 2011 at 12:12:58 am

Ok, here is the set up, Mac tower with Kona 3g card, capturing video game content from a PC for professional demos using Final Cut Pro 7. A Britgheye Mitto scan converter is the intermediary between the PC and the Mac with the Kona 3G card installed.

THE ISUUE!!!
The Video captures a 3G signal 59.94fps 1080p. However after capture the clips play back double speed. I’m curious of the cause of this and how to overcome it so the video will play back normal speed

As a test I also captured set to HD 29.97 fps 1080i and the video captured and palyed back fine, but the 3G signal and frame rate are desired for demo max demo awesomness!

Settings:
Mitto (scan converter):
Input: DVI from PC 1920x1080
Output:SDI port, NTSC, 3G, 1080p

Final Cut
Device Control: AJA Kona 3G 59.94 Panasonic VTR
Capture Input: AJA Kona 3G 59.94a Apple ProRes 422
Sequence set to match clip settings (59.94)

AJA is set to match Final Cut settings (59.94)

Thanks

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: 3G capture plays back double speed in FCP
on Mar 23, 2011 at 4:12:19 am

Considering this statement from your post, "As a test I also captured set to HD 29.97 fps 1080i and the video captured and played back fine," then there is a possibility that this is what is being properly delivered to the AJA KONA 3G. 1080p 59.94 is a relatively rare video source compared to other formats.

If you need assistance, I would recommend contacting AJA Technical Support via phone or email.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 23, 2011 at 4:15:02 pm

You are confusing field and frame rate.

1080p59.94 is 59.94 frames per second.

1080psf29.97 is 29.97 frames per second, but 59.94 FIELDS per second.

Stick with the 29.97 frame rate (as most like that's what your scan converter is outputting) and you will be fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 29, 2011 at 10:32:02 am

I am going to make a general suggestion to you, for use in the future. If you are confused about your source media, stick the BNC connector into the HD input of your Kona card, and open up AJA Control Panel. It will clearly show you on the input tab what your source media is (720p 59.94, 1080i 29.97, etc.). When you go into FCP - USE THAT SETTING.

The Ensemble Mitto is a great product. Remember, make things simple. And use EASY SETUPS with an AJA selection in FCP.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bradley Whalen
on Mar 29, 2011 at 6:29:01 pm

Thanks for all the advice... However, I've matched my settings pretty spot on thus why I came here for help. I included an image (I hope its readable). I understand 3G 1080p 59.94 is not normal, but required for our needs.

After looking at the image if you see any errors in my settings let me know. The issue is still happening.

On a random note, what wold the min system req be for 3G capture of this type, it could be my Mac is not fast enough...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:41:31 pm

How exactly are you capturing this? You device control should be set to non controllable instead of a 720p Panasonic protocol.

Have you tried VTR Exchange instead?

There's "demo max demo awesomness!" but there's also a way to do things and keep it simple.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bradley Whalen
on May 4, 2011 at 12:40:44 am

Turns out what looked like play back at double speed was actually half of the frames being dropped. So the signal ran through fine, but our 2 year old Quad-Core MacPro tower is just not up to the task of capturing a 3G signal without dropping frames.

I'm basically compiling all this into a report/guide so its not about finding one that works I have to test the realm of possibilities.

I've been able to capture in 720p and 1080i trying to see if I can get 1080p working (note in HD not 3G).

Suggestions for capturing in HD 1080p are welcome or maybe someone can convince me why might try 1080sF

Thanks for input everyone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]