FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3G & Analog Audio

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Johnson
Kona 3G & Analog Audio
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:25:41 pm

I'm interested in upgrading my Kona Lhi card to the Kona 3G and I'm wondering what kind of gear is required to interface with an analog Mackie mixer?

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Kona 3G & Analog Audio
on Mar 20, 2011 at 1:22:16 am

You will need an AES to analog converter if you wish to operate in +4 land, or the breakout box for the 3G which has a pair of RCA -10 outputs onboard. Depending on your SD/HD-SDI monitor and potential delay issues due to video processing you might consider using the dis-embedded audio signal that some monitors have available as a -10 analog out.
The AES outputs are BNC so you may need baluns to hit your A>D , D>A converters. Though it is an AES signal some converters like the Behringer SRC2496 AD/DA will report the signal after the balun as SPDIF.
It still works fine for monitoring/metering as a converter

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 20, 2011 at 5:21:09 pm

to input analog audio into the Kona 3G -
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-SRC2496-LIST
as has been previously stated.

To output, take the RCA outputs, and go into the 1/4" TRS inputs of your Mackie. It works fine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jack Johnson
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:06:49 am

Thanks fellas. I'm definitely aware of the RCA outs, but I need more accurate reproductions of sounds for my mixes. What about digital mixers that interface directly with Kona 3G AES outs? Is there such thing as a small format digital mixer? I can't seem to find one.

I'm stating to think the 3D capabilities of the card aren't worth the additional cost of the required gear.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:11:52 pm

Hi -
you are not making sense. If you buy a Yamaha digital mixer, you buy option cards to do the D/A conversion (AES input module). We have just shown you a very inexpensive Behringer D/A converter that you can use for monitoring with your Mackie.

This reminds me of people that would not buy an AJA SDI to CAV converter, and insisted on getting the SDI option module for their Sony monitors - as if the Sony module that was a D/A did a better job than the AJA product that was an external box.

If you bought an AJA Kona LHi, or a Blackmagic, or MOTU, or Matrox product, you would be in the same situation - a couple of analog outputs and a couple of AES outputs. If this is unacceptable to you, then take the SDI output (yes, the video output) and get the AJA HD10AMA
http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-hd10ama.php

This will de embed the SDI audio into 4 analog outputs, so you can feed your mackie.

When you buy a digital mixer like a Yamaha 01V96
you would need to buy the AES/EBU input option to hear the output of the Kona AES outputs (same with AVID, Blackamgic, etc) -
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MY8AE96/

Are you going to spend this money ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jack Johnson
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:52:50 am

You guys are absolutely correct. I misunderstood. Thank you for the product advice!

Return to posts index

Patrick Buescher
on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:34:20 pm

I have to agree with Bob around the Behringer. I own 4 of them, the fifth died after two years of use. I also own an apogee PSX-100. Overall, the signal quality is slightly better with the apogee, but you can purchase 10 Behringers for the price of the apogee without much increase in quality. Also, the Behringer's outputs are always active, which is a huge benefit for flexibility in changing environments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]