FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3/ "no video" SDI in 1

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Carswell
Kona 3/ "no video" SDI in 1
on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:12:53 pm

I hate posting this problem because I'm sure it's something simple. I am getting "no video" for SDI 1 under inputs in the KONA 3 Control Panel. This is supposed to be coming straight from my timeline. I've been using this card on this computer for several years and not run into this problem before. As a result I am unable to view my timeline on my Panasonic HD monitor which is being fed via SDI from the KONA 3 card. In order to check that the KONA 3 card is working I fed a DVCPRO deck through it via SDI to my monitor. That signal reaches the monitor and appears in the Control Panel.

I'm editing on a DVCPROHD 720p24 timeline (video shot on P2 720 24pn). My Video Playback settings are AJA Kona 720p23.98 8 Bit (1280 x 720). My sequence preset is DVCPRO HD 720p24. Capture Preset is DVCPRO HD 729p24.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona 3/ "no video" SDI in 1
on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:26:07 pm

[Jim Carswell] "I hate posting this problem because I'm sure it's something simple. I am getting "no video" for SDI 1 under inputs in the KONA 3 Control Panel. "

That is the input to the Kona card. If there in nothing being sent to the input, there's no video.

What you need is to choose and AJA Kona easy setup in FCP and match the FRAME BUFFER to your timeline, and the video input of the Kona has nothing to do with getting your time line OUT to a monitor.

So, for your particular case:

Hit control-q and choose the "AJA Kona 3 720p23.98 DVCPro HD VFR" easy setup. The VFR being the important part of that equation. If you see a picture, then you're good.

If not double check that all frames is on by toggling command-f12.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Carswell
on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:35:32 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The only options I have to choose from are 720p23.98 DVCPRO HD and 720p23.98 DVCPRO HD Varicam. I don't have the VFR option. And neither of them sent a signal to my monitor. I did verify that "All Frames" is selected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA

Return to posts index

Jim Carswell
on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:54:15 pm

Jeremy,

I got it working. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:00:16 pm

[Jim Carswell] "The only options I have to choose from are 720p23.98 DVCPRO HD and 720p23.98 DVCPRO HD Varicam. I don't have the VFR option"

In older drivers, the VFR option was named Varicam. Newer drivers renamed those easy setups with VFR.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:27:26 pm

Jeremy,

It seems the Kona easy setup did fix the problem by properly setting the video playback out, but from the original post, wouldn't this have been the problem:
"My Video Playback settings are AJA Kona 720p23.98 8 Bit (1280 x 720)" as 720p23.98 is an intermediate format and not an SDI out video playback option, hence no video comes out when FCP's playback is set to this? I.E, even though the sequence is 720p23.98, the video out for Kona's SDI playback needs to be 720p59.94? I'm pretty sure the KONA control panel even posts an indicator that it's intermediate when you have FCP set to 720p23.98 as playback...

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:33:56 pm

Yep. It's 6 of one half dozen of the other. The VFR or varicam easy setups put the video output to 59.94, or you can set it there yourself.

720p23.98 isn't a valid external signal but can be used to cross convert to 1080 psf 23.98 with the Kona

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]