FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA 3 and CS5 Major Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Frey
KONA 3 and CS5 Major Issues
on Mar 9, 2011 at 8:42:30 pm

Forgive me If this has been discussed to death. If there is a better forum or link going on this already please be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

I am a FCP editor and have been using the Kona 3 without issue for over a year.
Recently I've been asked to do some work in premiere - and this is where the trouble has started.

The main issue when using Premiere is that Audio is glitchy or doesn't play back at all when using the AJA sequence presets - which is the only way I can get out to my client monitors.

Crazy thing is that once premiere has been opened - all of my system audio outside of premiere plays back in half speed. Quicktime - audio online - everything - even in final cut, and there the video is flipped upside down.

Its disturbing to say the least, not to mention extremely frustrating. I have installed all the latest drivers for the AJA card, and the CS5 Plugins.

My GPU is a ATI Radeon HD 4870 , but our other editor with a Nvida Quadra 4000 is having the EXACT same issues.

Adobe says its AJA. AJA says its Adobe. We need to get work done. Does anybody have any ideas? If not, Is anybody running Blackmagic I/O cards on both FCS3 and CS5 without issues?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but you- the colelctive COW - have always had my back.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
Re: KONA 3 and CS5 Major Issues
on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:29:43 pm

I am experiencing the same issue on both my 8 core and 12 core both with a Kona 3.
Each computer has 2 start up disks all clean installs on everything and the same exact thing happens no matter what start up disk I boot up from.
The slow motion audio is very frustrating. Have not been able to have AJA recreate the issue so they are at a lost on being able to help. Have not tried Blackmagic cards. Maybe time to buy one for at least one of the machines.

Return to posts index

Mark Sheene
on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:36:25 am

I have the same problem. Premier either doesn't play back the audio, or if it does it stutters or drops off completely. I have also had upside down video. Aja tried to recreate this problem using the same audio file but couldn't. I have a 12 core Mac with all Aja drivers and OS up to date. Could this be a virus?

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:52:28 pm

I would believe AJA in the first place.

Return to posts index

Carl Frey
on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:07:33 pm

Alright. So our Senior Editor received a call from the Technical Support Supervisor of AJA - they replicated the problem and confirmed that the Kona 3 card DOES NOT work for Premiere.

I dont know if thats been officially stated anywhere. But that came straight from AJA. Maybe they should fix some of the advertisement on their webpage?

The Kona 3 does work fine for us in After Effects. Apparently its a driver issue with Premiere.

So, Talked with the good folks at B&H, and we will be receiving a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps a few of you out there!

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:32:53 pm

Thanks for the update! I am surprised by this a bit from AJA being that CS5 has been out a little while and just now they are realizing this. Once again this shows how valuable The COW is in sharing info and helping each other who may share common issues and experiences with products and software.

Return to posts index

Mark Sheene
on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:42:46 pm

Just spoke with a guy from AJA he said in the audio hardware panel within premier chose any output other than the AJA output this worked for me.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:51:52 pm

Hi Carl,

This is actually incorrect. The KONA 3 Does in fact work with Premiere Pro CS5. We have intermittently seen the Audio issue you're describing since your co-worker contacted our support department yesterday. We are working with manufacturer parters to get to the bottom of the issue but are not completely sure what is causing the issue just yet.

For each of you seeing this issue, please feel free to contact our support department at the number below. The more of you we hear from directly about this, the easier it will be to collect the information to narrow down the cause and find a workaround and/or fix.

Thanks

AJA Support Department: support@aja.com +1 (530) 271-3190

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 12, 2011 at 1:53:28 am

We had plenty of issues with CS4 and the Kona 3. Never tried it with the LHi system. On the audio issue, we just toggled the desktop and back to FCP and the audio came back.

But we surely did not have a great experience with Premier CS4 and the Kona 3.

Again, this was CS4 and the 7.5.1 driver and Adobe utils with a Kona 3.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:10:20 am

we have kona 3/ premeire cs5 and have had the audio problem and other issues.
have never been able to get it to work. gave up, as no one else seems to have it working either.
all these threads about premiere eventually die without answer...

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:31:55 am

Never had ANY problems with KONA3 and FCP.

FCP may be old code but NEVER i have any problems with FCP and AJA cards.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:10:36 am

Good point....this Kona 3 has been running perfectly with our FCP system for years.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Carl Frey
on Mar 17, 2011 at 2:06:14 pm

FCP and the Kona 3 work GREAT! Ive never had an issue. I posted here because the Kona 3 claims to be compatible with both both FCP and Premiere Cs5 - and I dont think anybody has been able to make that happen.

The only Issues Ive had with my Kona 3 and FCP have manifested themselves AFTER Ive tried to use Premiere. The issues persist until I reboot, and then as soon as I open FCP again everything is perfect. It seems to be a driver conflict? Not sure.

I can tell you - for those of you having to use both FCP and Premiere - the Blackmagic DeckLInk HD Extreme 3D runs both with no Issues.

Please dont take this as a bashing of AJA or their products. The Kona cards are Amazing and do everything in FCP I ask them to. I've Just had to adapt my workflow and the Kona 3 couldnt make the jump. I also wanted to just share my experience - if there is one thing the cow has taught me is that you are rarely alone in what ever issues you may be having.

Thanks guys for all your feedback!

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Mar 17, 2011 at 2:46:09 pm

well, CS5premiere and Davinci resolve support do make the new decklink the attractive replacement option.
the KONA3 has been awesome for us in FCP, but for as much grief as decklink has gotten on the cow over the years, i will say that we still have 3 original decklink extreme SD cards running fine in our studios (i think one was purchased in 2003!)...

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]