FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lock a free-run HDMI source to sync?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Killmon
Lock a free-run HDMI source to sync?
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:27:12 am

This is actually a "do I need to do this, and if so, how?" question, but that all wouldn't fit in the subject line.

So, I'm preparing to build a setup that will let me ingest both digital video from an Xbox 360 dev console (no HDCP on HDMI output) and digital surround audio (via a Dolby DP564 decoder, since the Xbox 360 annoyingly only supports encoded surround formats on output). My plan to do this was essentially:

Video: Xbox 360 -> HDMI out -> AJA HA5 converter -> HD-SDI -> AJA FS1

Audio: Xbox 360 -> TOSlink out -> Dolby DP564 -> 3x BNC AES -> AJA FS1

And then link the two together (with any necessary delay, which I believe is an FS1 feature, correct?) at the FS1 by embedding the AES audio into an HD-SDI out into my KONA LHi.

My worry, in this scenario, is that I'm shuttling digital audio around without any sync/word-clock between devices. Am I going to experience problems with this? And, if so, is there a way to deal with that? Can the FS1 lock a free-run incoming source to tri-level reference on the output side (which could also be used to lock the audio at the DP564 via AES word clock)? Obviously I can't lock the Xbox itself to sync. Or am I over-thinking this and no sync is actually required at any point in the chain?

Also, I realize this setup is a bit overkill, though to be fair I can't find any other way to convert the DD audio to an uncompressed digital out. If upper management balks at the cost involved (even a used DP564 seems to go for around $2,500 if you can find one), I'll likely scale back my plans to run the TOSlink out of the Xbox into a high-quality home theater processor and just dump the line-level analog outs into the MOTU 828mk3 I'm planning on buying, and just run the HDMI video directly into the KONA.

In fact, that brings up a side question: anyone have experience with ingesting audio from a device other than the KONA while capturing video live (Capture Now) in FCP?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Lock a free-run HDMI source to sync?
on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:08:00 pm

do you really need the surround sound audio ?

Wouldn't this be easier?

XBox 360 --> AJA HD10AVA (yes, use YPbPr outs) ---> Kona

end of story. Works just fine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Killmon
Re: Lock a free-run HDMI source to sync?
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:13:00 pm

Sure, it would be "easier," but I already moved to HDMI capture a year ago and would like the option to release videos with surround sound so people with 5.1 setups can get the full experience. I'm more interested in simply knowing if this workflow requires (or would benefit) from a sync source.

Obviously if the prices are an issue for management I'll simply use a home theater surround sound processor to decode the audio and capture analog audio through my audio interface and run the HDMI directly into the Kona LHi. I've never done Capture Now with two different device sources in FCP, but I guess we'd see how that worked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]