FORUMS: list search recent posts

Guitar Rig anyone, problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Mickelson
Guitar Rig anyone, problems
on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:48:41 pm

I am trying to use Guitar Rig on my MacPro. It works with OK with the regular mic in(guitar/cable/cheapo adapter to mic in).

When I try to use the analog in on the LHe I get a high pitched whine/buzz and really bad latency(over 50ms).

Anyone using Guitar Rig successfully with Kona products?

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Guitar Rig anyone, problems
on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:26:33 am

are you talking about Native Instruments Guitar Rig ? Are you an idiot ? Are you trying to take your unbalanced low level signal electric guitar, and go directly into the +4dBu balanced input of the AJA Kona LHe ? Forget about being a video person, forget about being a video professional for the sake of this conversation. How long have you been playing guitar ? Don't you have ANY OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR YOUR GUITAR ? Don't you have any background as a guitar player on how to interconnect your guitar to effects pedals, amps, etc. ?

Your guitar is putting out a VERY low level signal from the pickup (almost like a microphone signal, unless you have "hot" active pickups, which I am assuming you do not have. You must boost up the level of your guitar with a PREAMP - and you know what the cheapest way to do this is ? A MIXER ! But there are countless stomp pedals out there that can do this for you. But if you say "I have Guitar Rig, I want to use these software plugin effects", then you STILL must use something to boost up the level of your guitar - just like on ANY recording system. Cheap solution - a cheap mixer with a balanced output.

And don't you DARE tell me how this should be a cooperative, friendly forum, who helps professionals with professional video questions. I am not addressing you as a video professional - I am addressing you as a modern MUSICIAN - what kind of idiot musician today is not aware of multiple products that exist for your guitar, bass, keyboards, or even microphone. You learn this at TWELVE YEARS OLD. By now, (even if you are only 19), you should know this stuff.

buy a mixer.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:30:28 am

to be clear, there is no "Mic input" on an AJA kona LHe. It's a +4dBu balanced line level input. You can't plug a mic into this XLR input. The level must be boosted up. Again, you use a mixer to do this.

And if you have a Strat, or a product without humbuckers, and an unbalanced (Tip Sleve) output from your guitar, expect hum, just like you get from your guitar amps.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Feb 17, 2011 at 1:46:05 am

Awesome!!! I finally have a post deserving of the wrath of "Z"!

OK. To be more clear. I typically use(if going direct) the DI instrument level IN on my Metric Halo ULN8. That is at my bands music studio and unfortunately NOT mobile, it's locked up tighter than Fort Knox's, can't cover our nations deficit, gold supply.

Now at the edit studio I have a mackie mixer feeding the analog in of the Kona LHe. I use a Hi-Z/Lo-Z box between the guitar and mixer. The mic input is on the back of the macpro. I use the Kona AES-out to feed my monitors. The mixer does not matter in this equation. It can be turned off and nothing plugged in to the LHe pig-tail at all. I get noise whenever I select the LHe as input device.

When trying to use the analog in on the LHe to the input of Guitar Rig there is a very loud whining sound through the speakers. This happens when the mixer is off or on. Levels look good.

If I switch to the "beginners" method of guitar-cable-adapter-mic in on Macpro. I do not get the noise though the levels are somewhat lower. When I switch back to Kona as input device the whining noise comes back.

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:47:10 pm

OK. To be more clear. I typically use(if going direct) the DI instrument level IN on my Metric Halo ULN8. That is at my bands music studio and unfortunately NOT mobile, it's locked up tighter than Fort Knox's, can't cover our nations deficit, gold supply.

REPLY - wow, you are crazy - who would spend the money to buy a Metric Halo. That costs more than any of your editing gear - but it will do exactly what you need (as a killer preamp) -

Now at the edit studio I have a mackie mixer feeding the analog in of the Kona LHe. I use a Hi-Z/Lo-Z box between the guitar and mixer. The mic input is on the back of the macpro. I use the Kona AES-out to feed my monitors. The mixer does not matter in this equation. It can be turned off and nothing plugged in to the LHe pig-tail at all. I get noise whenever I select the LHe as input device.

REPLY - then this problem has nothing to do with your guitar. I am still confused as to how you are monitoring (what speakers are you using that have AES/EBU inputs ?). This is my advice. Simply take the Kona LHe analog audio outputs and go into your Mackie Mixer line inputs 1 and 2 (don't use the MIC inputs, use the TRS 1/4" line inputs). Take the CR Mon Out of your Mackie mixer and go into your speakers (analog input, not AES/EBU input). Bring all the faders down. But turn up the CR Mon output (to your spekaers) - do you hear any noise. OK, now launch FCP, open up any project, and play bars and tone - bring up faders 1 and 2 of your mixer where your Kona LHe is plugged into it. Do you hear tone ? Is it clean? Stop the playback of tone, but leave the faders up. Is it silent ? OK, now plug your guitar into the mixer (input 3) and turn up the trim control to about 3:00. Raise the mixer fader 3, and play your guitar. Does it sound clean, or is it making noise ?

When trying to use the analog in on the LHe to the input of Guitar Rig there is a very loud whining sound through the speakers. This happens when the mixer is off or on. Levels look good.

REPLY - ok, so maybe this is where I get confused. When you hook it up the way I describe, does it sound good and clean WITHOUT Guitar Rig, or is it still noisy. Are we talking about just a "software emulation" of a noise tube Marshall, that is making these sounds ?

REPLY - this is why I don't want you to hookup the AES outputs of your Kona to the speakers. Hookup the output of the

If I switch to the "beginners" method of guitar-cable-adapter-mic in on Macpro. I do not get the noise though the levels are somewhat lower. When I switch back to Kona as input device the whining noise comes back.

REPLY - try what I suggested, and let me know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:27:34 am

Crazy? Metric Halo?
Have you used one yet? I have built Neve, API and Hardy clone preamps and the Metric Halo ULN8 gets close to them. All in a single rack unit. I also use it as an effects processor for compression on the way in and buss compression on the way out or through. Did you know it has onboard DSP that rivals the big boys? Skys the limit of what can be done with this box...anyway you probably have more money tied up in cr*ppy cable that sits in your basement unused...waiting for the dumpster.

I hooked up the LHe like you asked as an extra tone-suck and it works fine. Unity gain is off 1/32 of a turn on channel one. Sound is clean with Bars and Tone, sound is clean with guitar(and nice distortion when input cranked, I can see myself using this!).

Turn on Guitar Rig 4 and the whine is back. It has to be Guitar Rig. The cpu indicator goes wild, 10%-90%-4%-100% Redline. Cpu spikes when nothing is played through basic clean Fender style amp sim.

MacPro 2.26 octo, NVidia GT120, 16GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.6, FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Oh, speakers are JBL LSR4328 and have AES inputs.

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:04:48 am

Fixed!
I removed the plist for Guitar Rig 4 and did a restart. When asked to re-install Guitar Rig 3 libraries I happily declined.

All is good in the world again.

A little mud slinging, but effective trouble-shooting regardless.

Thanks Bob for lighting the fire, and clean your basement!

MacPro 2.26 octo, NVidia GT120, 16GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.6, FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:28:43 pm

I have seen a lot of the emulators, and many of them introduce ungodly noice for "no reason" perhaps for the sake of "reality".
Look at Tech 21 floor pedals - select a Marshall emulation, and IT MAKES NOISE, and this ain't a software package. Why - I don't know - I don't know how DSP works, and what these guys do.

Glad you see that your Kona and your system is fine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]