FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHi Audio Capture Volume Unusually Low

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kirsch
LHi Audio Capture Volume Unusually Low
on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:58:27 pm

I am using the Kona LHi Capture Card to capture video at 1080i resolution. I connect to the capture card via the breakout cable. In between the breakout cable and the playback device (VCR or camcorder), I am using either a component video cable or an S-Video Cable or a Composite Video cable depending on the playback device. In any case, the audio records at a very low volume. I have set the audio input in the Kona control panel to Analog. In the Mac system systems on the audio input tab, I have selected the Kona PCI card and I have adjusted the input volume all the way to the right (max setting). Still, when I capture the video, the audio records at a very low volumne.
When I use Firewire for digital video capture, the audio is much louder and sounds normal.
I am wondering what else I need to set in order to capture audio at a sufficient volume at a sufficient quality using the Kona PCI card.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: LHi Audio Capture Volume Unusually Low
on Feb 13, 2011 at 7:56:47 pm

Put a mixer in between your deck and kona card and boost to your heart's content.

Or you can turn off the lock gain to unity in the Kona control panel, but i warn you is could come back and bite you later if you forget to turn it back on.

Return to posts index

Thomas Kirsch
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:23:32 am

I should not have to put a mixer in-between the Kona card and the unit. The volume should record at acceptable levels by default without any manipulation.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:37:36 am

Uh, ok. Then the audio has to be recorded at a pretty decent level in the first place. Digital and analog levels don't exactly jive all the time, especially your are coming out at a consumer level and not necessarily line level. A mixer is pretty crucial to attenuate that signal, but I can tell you don't want to hear about that for whatever reason because you think that the equipment isn't working correctly. Have you captured an analog signal in the past?

Did you read the second part of my post?

Return to posts index

Thomas Kirsch
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:43:57 am

I have read the second part of your post. I unselected 'Lock Gain To Unity'. I did not make any difference whatsoever.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:58:41 am

Does your source have bars and tone? If so where are the audio meters hitting when ett is open?

Does your camera/deck have meters?

Return to posts index

Thomas Kirsch
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:34:21 am

Thank you Jeremy for all of your responses. My sources do not have volume meters.
All in all I thought I was just missing a configuration setting in the Kona control panel since the sound volume was so much lower when the sound was recorded with the Kona PCI card compared with the volume when the sound was recorded through the sound card (same source).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]