FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stutter Issue w/ Prores Proxy

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Kahn
Stutter Issue w/ Prores Proxy
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:47:21 am

I posted this in the FCP forum but have not had much luck there. Hoping maybe it's a Kona issue.

I have a client cutting a feature that was captured at ProRes Proxy for the offline edit. The media was on an Avid Unity through fibre connection. Thinking that the Unity was causing the issues, I have put in two 1Tb hard drives and striped them together to make a 2TB internal RAID.

Over the last few weeks, the editor has been experiencing an issue where he will be cutting and as he plays back the sequence, it begins to stutter. The stutter appears to be quickly viewing the previous cut (cut A) as well as the cut that should be played back (cut B), ABABABABA. If I stop playback and go back and hit play, it will continue to happen.

It appears to be random. The stutter can be seen both in the canvas window and the external monitor.

I have trashed permissions, reseated all cards, updated Kona 3 driver, swapped CPU, reformatted HD and reinstalled everything. Nothing has worked

This is a Mac Pro Nahelem w/ 10G of RAM, OS 10.6.5, FCP 7.0.3, Kona 3

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Stutter Issue w/ Prores Proxy
on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:51:27 am

Mike

I am confused - are you editing in FCP and using Avid Unity for Storage?

What drivers are you running on the Kona 3?

What you describe sounds like FCP spazing out, not something with the Kona Card.

Dump all of your FCP prefs and reboot.

The easy way to test the board is to just open the Aja control panel to show only bars &tone.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:25:55 am

Sorry to be confusing. I was using avid unity for storage but took it off and went to internal drives, thinking the unity was causing the playback issues and crashing.

I am using the kona 3 8.0 ndd drivers. I have trashed the preferences and that had not fixed the issues.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:18:10 pm

[Mike Kahn] "I am using the kona 3 8.0 ndd drivers. I have trashed the preferences and that had not fixed the issues."

did you manually update the firmware on the card?

to check, go to the Applications > Aja Utilities > Kona Firmware updater.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:11:24 pm

[gary adcock] "did you manually update the firmware on the card?"

I have not do a firmware update. Is the Kona 3 different from the Kona LHi in terms of updates? Occasionally I will build a system with the LHi and I get a pop up window telling me to update the firmware. I can't remember this ever happening with a Kona 3 set up.

I will try this as soon as I can get on the system and see if it fixes the issues.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:51:59 pm

[Mike Kahn] " Is the Kona 3 different from the Kona LHi in terms of updates? Occasionally I will build a system with the LHi and I get a pop up window telling me to update the firmware. I can't remember this ever happening with a Kona 3 set up."

Correct it is.

The Kona 3 does not generate a Firmware upgrade notice, it is a totally manual update.

The LHI uses a different chipset/ process via FPGA that utilizes the firmware update warning.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:48:38 pm

I reverted the Firmware to 32-bit. If the editor continues to have issues I will go back to the 64-bit.

The window told me I was up to date with the firmware driver.

Thanks for your help Gary, I really hope this will fix the problems.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]