FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi 24P out of Premiere

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Holland
Kona LHi 24P out of Premiere
on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:37:28 pm

HI,

I am trying to get some insight on the best workflow for 24 projects out of Premiere to a BETA deck using the AJA Kona Lhi.

In the past, on PC, we used Blackmagic Cards and were able to make 24P sequences and when laying to BETA it automatically converted to 29.97. We have switched one system to MAC and I am trying to figure out how to do the same thing.

We shoot most of our footage 720/24p on an HVX so we use mxf files and end up in 24P Sequences. On the Kona it looks like I can't change it to 24P and still be able to view it and lay it to tape.

What kind of workflow should I be using to use the 24P mxf files but then be able to export them to BETA ?

And to let you know the majority of the things we cut in Premiere and then take into Aftereffects to Finish. I am more than fine cutting things without being able to view on a monitor in Premiere, then taking to Aftereffects and then exporting it as 29.97 I am just not sure the right way to render it out of AE and then to keep the audio matching.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animation/Design
hollandedit.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona LHi 24P out of Premiere
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:52:18 pm

Meaning, you need to do a down convert?

Open the AJa control panel, right click on the analog output triangle and choose secondary and 525i from the drop down menus. You should see a down-convert icon on the output side now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:29:54 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for writing back. I will admit I am new with the Lhi card so I am not on top of everything.

I thought that is what I should do with the 720/24P build and I think I figured out how to downconvert.

My issue is more with frame rate differences of SD Sequences,

What about if I my AE render is a 720x486/24P file or a DV timeline at 720x480/24P ? How can I get that to lay to BETA.

Right now I can't even make an AJA timeline like that in Premiere so I can't monitor it or lay to tape. In FCP I can make the timeline at 24P but it is glitchy and won't play smoothly.

Is there a suggested way to convert that file to make it 29.97 so I can lay it to tape or am I missing something so that I don't have to convert it beforehand?

Thanks.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animation/Design
hollandedit.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:45:51 pm

[Chris Holland] "n FCP I can make the timeline at 24P but it is glitchy and won't play smoothly. "

in FCP, you make a 24p Sd timeline, then set your video output to 29.97 SD and FCP/Kona will add the proper 3:2 pulldown. Not sure what to do in Premiere as I don't use it. Sorry about that.

You can render in pulldown out of AE in the output module if you want.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:10:10 am

"in FCP, you make a 24p Sd timeline, then set your video output to 29.97 SD and FCP/Kona will add the proper 3:2 pulldown. Not sure what to do in Premiere as I don't use it. Sorry about that"

Thanks again. I thought that's what I did and that was when it was glitchy but I can't check right now. I will do that tommorrow.

I know that if I set my primary in the Control Panel to 525i23976 then Component BETA output is greyed out.

Maybe I will end up just rendering out of AE with pulldown. I don't usually render my audio out of AE. If I add the audio back in FCP will it be out of sync?

Thanks.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animation/Design
hollandedit.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2011 at 4:35:06 pm

[Chris Holland] "I know that if I set my primary in the Control Panel to 525i23976 then Component BETA output is greyed out. "

No, should be set to 525i.

[Chris Holland] "If I add the audio back in FCP will it be out of sync?"

Nope. In this case, one second of audio still matches one second of video as you aren't changing the duration of the movie, just the number of frames displayed per second . You will be fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:27:13 pm

Thanks for your help Jeremy. I am still having issues with files.

I have some avi files that were 720x480 @ 23.976. I converted them using the QT conversion in Final Cut to Pro Res and they are jittery or if I resize them they get blurry.

Not sure what to do but i appreciate the help.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animation/Design
hollandedit.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:59:37 pm

AVIs are absolutely terrible in FCP. That's probably your problem.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]