FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to open movies from VTR Exchange recording

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Ford
Unable to open movies from VTR Exchange recording
on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:47:45 pm

We are using the last generation Mac Pros with AJA Kona 3 cards using the latest AJA drivers and Mac updates. I set up two machines to do a test record overnight last night as we needed to confirm the cleaning folks are actually doing their jobs. This morning I return and stop the records and I have two 150 GB files that I cannot seem to open anywhere. There is no video thumbnail showing when viewed as icons though they both have .mov extensions and a QuickTime icon.

This is what the various programs have told me when I try to open the files:

MPEG Streamclip – File open error: can’t find video or audio tracks
FCP 7 – File Error: Unknown File
AJA TV – is blank, no controls or anything
Quick Time – The movie is not in a format that QT understands
Photoshop – Could not complete your request because the movie file could not be opened

The records were done with AJA VTR Exchange which were set to HDV 720p30 to save space with 2 channels of 16 bit 48 kHz audio.

I’ve done this before without problems, this time however… It records fine now, the files all work properly. Another other thing worth noting is that AJA VTR Exchange has started showing a red box over about 60% of the record window with the live video showing in the remaining space. A screen cap is below. Any thoughts on opening the files or the red showing up in VTR Exchange?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Unable to open movies from VTR Exchange recording
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:22:02 pm

How long did you record for 12 hours or so? I would suspect the length of the file.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:53:21 pm

Duh. Of course that's it. I missed HDV.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:51:39 pm

[Barry Ford] "The records were done with AJA VTR Exchange which were set to HDV 720p30 to save space with 2 channels of 16 bit 48 kHz audio.
"

As far as I know you cannot record any LGOP codecs thru VTR Exchange.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Barry Ford
on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:27:42 am

Thanks for the help!

We have used HDV successfully in the past as a space saving measure when we were running out of drive space. Typically though we use DVCPro HD.

Yes that record was over 12 hours, I started it as I left at 4pm and stopped it the next morning at 7:30.

Any thoughts on the red we are having on VTR Exchange? I am also now experiencing this on AJA TV, though the video plays fine at it's destination point. It makes monitoring VTR Exchange a problem as we really can't see the entire image, not to mention the red flashing give quite the headache!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:41:25 am

Also, you would need to capture 720p59.94, not 29.97. Could be another problem you are having.

As far as red stuff.

Try trashing vtr exchange prefs.

If that doesnt work, trash QuickTime prefs. (Yes, QT prefs).

Are these hdv movies as well?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]