FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA LHe Novice Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Price
KONA LHe Novice Question
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:10:17 pm

Hi There,

I've been looking at my KONA LHe settings on the control panel and I see my native format is set to 525i29.97.

Now, I live and work in the UK where we use PAL, and I shoot and edit on a variety of formats but none of them relate to 525i29.97.

I work in HD Cam 1080i25, 1080p25, 720p and DV PAL, so my question is should my card be set up differently? If so, what settings should I be using?

Many thanks,

Steve.
ps - here's a screen shot of my set up. Thanks.

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: KONA LHe Novice Question
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:08:10 pm

Hi John,

Definitely set the output to the format you will be mastering in. What deck and format are are you outputting to?

If not outputting to a deck I assume you have the Kona for monitoring and you will want to set it to something compatible with your monitor.

jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:25:54 pm

That's with your desktop selected right?

If you change to FCP, the frame buffer will be set to whatever your video output is wet to in FCP.

With your desktop selected, simply right click on the frame buffer and choose a PAL based format if you want.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:18:38 pm

[Steve Price] "'ve been looking at my KONA LHe settings on the control panel and I see my native format is set to 525i29.97. "

Steve,

On a new setup, the Kona cards default to the first setting in the list, and since this is a US company the very first settings were for NTSC Standard def TV. This is the reason for the setting, as others have mentioned you will need to use a differing setup for PAL countries.

Note that this will happen everytime you re-install drivers ( if you do not do any NTSC you can choose NOT to bypass installing the NTSC settings

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Steve Price
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:25:29 pm

Thank you - this is all very helpful advice and I'm learning a lot.

As it happens I did update the drivers recently so this will explain the NTSC default setting.

So presumably, when the setting is correct for my monitor, I'll be able to output my work to my monitor when viewing it in AJA TV too?

Steve.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:40:11 pm

For the most part, when you open a movie in AJA TV it will set the video output format for you.

Don't think that the aja control panel is controlling you, you control it. Set It for the matching format of your video and away you go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]