FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture TIFF or TGA with VTR Xchange????

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Ford
Capture TIFF or TGA with VTR Xchange????
on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:10:09 pm

We are using several AJA Kona 3 based Mac Pro systems (2010 8 core model with 10.6.5, QuickTime Player 10.0 (118), FCP Studio 3 and Adobe Production Suite CS4) for live video capture at a medical facility. Recently we have the need to grab stills from procedures. I have tried the frame grab within VTR Xchange and the only codecs installed are PNG and Photo-JPEG. Photo-JPEG works but creates highly compressed files. The PNG codec doesn’t work and the message that pops up says that TGA of TIFF will work, however I don’t have these codecs listed in video settings under Compression type in the video settings menu. I have googled this and found nothing. Does anyone know where I can download either TGA of TIFF codecs for QuickTime? Or some other way for this to work on the AJA card? I tried my personal BlackMagic card in a machine and am able to capture decent quality TGA files, am I missing something with AJA Kona cards??

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Capture TIFF or TGA with VTR Xchange????
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:11:56 am

Have you looked in the prefs? In there you can choose to capture as numbered files, then you should be able to choose a compression scheme in the video settings.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Barry Ford
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:41:12 pm

Yes that is an option, but, we really just need the "Grab Now" option to work so we can take stills of just what we want and not have to sort through the frames when capturing to a folder of numbered files. I was hoping the TGA or TIFF would work as per the pop up message:

To do a single frame grab, open Video Settings and make sure you have selected:
– an 8 bit video source.
– Photo-JPEG, TGA or TIFF compression.

I have no option in the video settings for either TGA of TIFF and the JPEG's, which do work, are not very high in quality and I am hoping the other formats might be better, if I can get them to work.

The doctors medical devices can do this and that is what they want as well as the immediate turnaround - they have no patients, bad pun there;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:05:56 pm

[Barry Ford] "Yes that is an option, but, we really just need the "Grab Now" option to work so we can take stills of just what we want and not have to sort through the frames when capturing to a folder of numbered files."

I see. I misunderstood you at first. I thought you wanted an image sequence. You literally want to take one frame grab. Sorry about that.

It's weird that tiff isn't showing up, perhaps try contacting AJA about it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Barry Ford
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:22:48 pm

I did, and nothing as yet from them. I may have to call them...

Two thoughts:

We use a master image for all six machines which is based on the retail OSX 10.6 disk. Could the missing TGA and TIFF options be due to that rather that using the original disks from the Mac Pro box?

Or could they be part of QuickTime Pro? We use player only.

Thanks for your feedback!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:28:17 pm

Last night when I responded to you from home, TGA and TIFF was available, but the computer is older and is running Leopard. It might be the difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

QT Pro is installed if FCP is installed.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Barry Ford
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:59:01 pm

Interesting, and I had a similar thought so I plugged an old hard drive with 10.5.8 on it and it is also missing the TGA and TIFF as options, though that system does not have Final Cut installed.

This then brings up a discussion I had previously with our IT dept. I had been told that QT Pro came with all Mac Pros, this was back in the G5 days. Our IT guy insisted that was not the case.

I only have QT Player on the machines, and FCP Studio 3 is installed.

I have installed QT 7 directly from the OSX install disc and still have only QT player. No change in compression choices either.

Has the QT Pro component been eliminated in FCP Studio 3 maybe?

Barry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:01:59 pm

[Barry Ford] "I had been told that QT Pro came with all Mac Pros,"

It usually came with FCP, not MacPros.

[Barry Ford] "Has the QT Pro component been eliminated in FCP Studio 3 maybe?"

If you open QT7 and click the registration button, it should say QT Pro Apps User in small type at the very bottom of the window when using Snow Leopard.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:52:08 pm

Barry,
It sounds like you may not have QuickTime 7 installed on your machine since you did a standard Snow Leopard installation. You can check for it in the Applications>Utilities sub-folder. If it is not present, you can install it from your Mac Pro Mac OS X Install DVD that shipped with the computer.

Note that even with QuickTime 7 installed, you will need to enable legacy encoders (like TIFF and TGA). Snow Leopard does not provide a UI for the enabling of legacy encoders as it previously did in Leopard. You will need to use Terminal to enable the legacy items (like TGA) so that you can see them as encoding options in VTR Xchange.

Applications>Utilities>Terminal, then type or copy/paste:
qtdefaults write LegacyCodecsEnabled yes

If you need assistance with this, don't hesitate to contact AJA technical support for assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:53:05 pm

And there it is. Learn something new everyday.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Barry Ford
on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:09:59 pm

That did the trick!!!

Thank you Jeremy Garchow and AJA Sales Department!

Now to update our master image and all the computers. This will save us much time and hastle as the TIFF's it creates look mush better.

Thanks,

Barry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]