FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP General Error (88)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Johnson
FCP General Error (88)
on Dec 11, 2010 at 5:54:51 am

Searching the COW and the interweb in general yielded very little info about FCP General Error (88) so I'm just posting what I experienced in case it's helpful to others ... I already got what I needed done via a workaround and just can't spend the time to further investigate possible causes.

I was trying to Edit To Tape a spot (1080i 29.97 upper field ProRes 422) onto BetaSP (a clean PVW-2800) by downconverting/letterboxing through our Kona-3 exactly the same way as the hundred others I've done recently, but FCP kept giving a General Error (88) and wouldn't Edit To Tape. What's strange is that I'm just tagging the same spots over and over so all the FCP project files and sequences within them are copies of a master project file and I basically just change the tags and slates. So, the only difference at all between all the others that worked fine and the problem ETT is that I deleted a second spot, slate, etc. from one of the sequences.

I repeatedly tried all the basic troubleshooting steps like restarting FCP, deleting render files, trashing preferences, rebooting, checking all connections between the Mac and the deck, etc., etc. The only workaround that allowed the spot to ETT was, instead of deleting the un-needed spot, slate, etc. from this project copy’s sequence, I left them in the sequence and just disabled the clips so only black would go to tape in their place ... definitely no other differences at all, tried it numerous times both ways and it worked out the same ... strange.

Other posts suggests it may be a Kona-3 issue, but it really looks like a FCP issue since, in my situation, everything is literally identical except one change to the FCP sequence that should be irrelevant. So, I'm posting in both forums even though double-posting is frowned upon ... perhaps it's ok since the intent is to help others.

By the way, although I don't believe this has anything to do with system specs or the like, here's that info:
Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Zeon w/ 32Gb RAM
OSX 10.5.8
FCP 6.0.6
QT 7.6.6
Dulce 8Tb RAID
Kona-3

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: FCP General Error (88)
on Dec 12, 2010 at 8:58:52 pm

Ran into this last week with a friend. Sometimes creating a new project and cut/pasting everything into it works. Other times you might have to make a new sequence and cut/paste all the clips in your old sequence into the new one.

There's nothing like general error to awaken fears that Apple has totally dropped Final Cut development. Especially when you see how long people have been having general error issues in the FCP Forum via a search.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:38:42 am

Thanks, John. I too have gotten general errors many times over the years, but not so much in the past few years and I don't recall specifically getting error 88 before so that's what I searched for.

Thanks for the good workaround suggestion ... I got a couple others in the FCP forum too.

I think Apple eventually will drop Final Cut development since the company clearly doesn't need it any more, but I hope it doesn't happen any time soon. I'm glad others are starting to discuss the possibility though ... hopefully plausible next steps will follow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:21:08 am

I have nothing constructive to add to this, but I found John Davidson helping David Johnson to be kind of amusing. :)

It'd be like me helping someone name Gar Jeremychow, if that were ever feasible.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 14, 2010 at 10:45:41 am

Actually, David and I are identical, except I have a goatee.

Oh, and I'm evil.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:09:49 am

lol

My theory is that we're really the same person, but exist in parallel universes where up is down, bad is good and David Johnsons are John Davidsons ... so wouldn't that make me the truly evil one? lol

Return to posts index

Adam Payne
on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:32:18 pm

Ran into this today. I'm running a 2 X's 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel, 8 gigs of ram, running FCP 7.0.3 with a Kona 3 on OS 10.6.5. I tried everything I could think of to get this to clear; new sequence, new project, throwing away media. Finally, I followed these instructions: (http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_trouble.html)
for trashing all the prefs and bingo was his name-o, it's back to working fine. Right before it went bad, I tried to output an uncompressed HD 8bit sequence at 29.97fps onto an HDCAM tape. The definition of simple. For some reason, Final Cut wouldn't recognize the deck and when I restarted, General 88 appeared. It did not want to work at all until I trashed the prefs. All better now though.

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:52:25 am

Not positive, but I think I've resolved a General Error 88 by making sure that the device control was set to the frame rate of the deck and not the sequence.

Either that, or it was having an out point in the sequence.

I think it's one of those two things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]