FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Gen10 question:

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
AJA Gen10 question:
on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:24:48 pm

I have my AJA Gen10 connected to my UVW1800 BetaSP deck...and the #2 dip switch is set to SD...so that outputs 5 & 6 are SD black out. 1-4 are still HD. But when it is connected to the deck, the signal going to the monitor still is askew. The image slowly rolls...step...step....step...as if it isn't getting any sync at all.

Just for yucks I switched the sync to HD, and it snapped into place, but was all jiggly.

What am I missing? And yes, the unit is plugged in.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA Gen10 question:
on Dec 9, 2010 at 11:33:32 pm

put black into BOTH the Ref Video IN AND the Video input (composite video input). You can also run a single cable into Ref Video IN, and then LOOP the Ref Video in to the Video IN (and make sure that only one 75 ohm terminator switch is thrown on the back of the 1800).

This is the only Sony VTR that behaves that way. This is a UVW-1800
issue, not a GEN10 issue.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 9, 2010 at 11:47:14 pm

Thanks Bob, that was driving me nuts.

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:24:49 am

I spoke too soon. Still didn't fix it. When I play back things are fine, but the signal to the deck is wonky.

- tried ref from the device to the COMPOSITE in

- Tried looping from the REF OUT to Composite.

- The terminator is only switched on one...I tried it on the REF and off on composite...and on composite off on ref. No difference.

- Tried three different cables.

Shane

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:28:13 am

Is there a menu setting on that deck telling it where to get the sync signal? Can't remember.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:48:01 am

Nope...this is a BASIC machine. I even looked in the menus to double check.

The tape was fine when I played back...just not when I watched the output. Like watching my old black and white TV again...where you had vertical control. I kept wanting to whack it.

Shane

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:42:34 am

Yeah we had one like that when I was a kid. When it went all screwy you just gave it a good whack on the side. Very analog.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:19:46 pm

I haven't used an 1800 in quite some time, but I'm fairly sure that there is a menu setting for sync where you can select "video in" or "sync in"

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:24:41 pm

I see this behaviour when recording to the UVW1800 in my rack. I do feed it Ext Sync from a Gen10, but only to the External Sync INput and not looped through to the video Input. All my recording to the deck is in Y, R-Y, B-Y analog from the Kona3 card.

The vertical stepping you see is normal TBC offset timing error. When you play the tape back, it is normal, correct? The vertical sync roll does not occur? If the V-sync interference was real, you would likely get a stable picture, where a black bar rolled through the actual active image.

This was a feature of the Ampex VPR2, where a poor external sync would actually result in a sync bar rolling through picture image. That was real handy.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 10, 2010 at 12:55:45 pm

shane.

I have seen this when you have been using the converter for 720p HD and then changing to SD for an output.

Try setting the switches #1-#5 AND make sure the S1,S2+S3 switches all to the left ( 0 ) and then reboot the converter. It forces it to handle the output as interlace.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:51:38 am

as always, Gary offers good advice. Make sure your GEN10 is set to output NTSC black, and not tri level sync ! Again, all you need to do is put NTSC Black (from GEN10 output 1 and 2 for example) into both the VIDEO INPUT, and the REF Video input. Forget the nonsense of the Ref Out looping back to the input - that was an old Blackmagic trick to avoid using a black generator. I assure you, this works (put both term switches on on the 1800, as you are sending 2 cables into the 2 inputs).

And as always, there are the 2 variables -
1) the GEN10 doesn't work (or the DWP power supply doesn't work)
and
2) the VTR had a problem with it's analog input.

there are NO menus in the UVW-1800 to select where sync comes from. It is autosensing. You would like to think that when you switch the VTR to Input Y, Pb, Pr, it would ignore the video input (composite) but it doesn't ignore it.

You can easily tell if your GEN10 is working, even if you do not have a waveform monitor to check it. when you remove all reference to the Ref Video input and Video input, and try to do anything on the UVW-1800, you get this error message on the LCD display of the machine - ERROR 093, NON-STD REF. Unplug your gen10 completely, and you will see this error message. Plug in your gen10 - the error message will go away if the GEN10 is working.

ALL sony VTR's STOP LED will flash (blue) if they do not have a reference signal (black) going into them.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Omar Torresola
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:59:31 pm

Even though this thread is old, just wanted to compliment Bob on his expertise on this matter. I contacted him privately and all my syncing issues have gone away. I'm relatively new in my production house and there was a old Horita BBG just sitting there collecting dust. Put it to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]