FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Kona system is very very sick..

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
My Kona system is very very sick..
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:10:24 pm

As one plays a show back, picture on the broadcast monitor slowly slips out of sync until it is a few seconds out and continues that way. When you stop it kind of "resets" and then if you play again the drifting slowly begins again.

The picture on the mac's monitor stays it sync (where is Kona buffering all that video???) so the problem is something to do with the card.

Spent a long time on the phone with AJA tech support, went through all the configuration stuff, software versions, slot placements, slot speed, FCP settings. Reinstalled the driver. Went back to an older driver. Checked the sync gen, cables, settings. Reseated the card. Tried a different monitor. (same drift on analog and SDI outputs) Support guy basically gave up.

Problem will not go away...

Any thoughts?

jason

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: My Kona system is very very sick..
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:57:36 pm

I had this same problem when I was playing back 30p footage shot with a pdw700. It ended up being my audio/video settings, I was using a 1080 30p playback, but the footage was segmented frames, not true progressive...changed to 1080i and it worked fine. I'm sure u have played with this, just thought I'd add my experience.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:43:21 pm

I appreciate any suggestions as I'm stumped.. All this is prores 720 footage.. it has been working fine for months.. same shows that played back fine before are off now.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:59:31 pm

What's the audio sample rate in you media? If it's not exactly 48k, this may be a reason.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:41:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah it's 48.. Shows that played back fine 2 weeks ago suddenly are out of sync. But as I say It's still in sync on the Mac's monitor.. only the SDI output is out of sync. A mystery!

Thanks I appreciate any suggestions.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Dec 9, 2010 at 8:51:12 pm

What's the timeline framerate? Have you tried 59.94?

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 9, 2010 at 8:54:13 pm

Yes, 59.94. Also having the problem on 23.98 timelines. Having the problem on any timeline, including stuff that was working fine before and has not been altered.. so I'm assuming it's not the sequence settings.

Thanks...

j.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 9, 2010 at 11:36:26 pm

what MAC are you on ? Does it have the expansion slot utility ?

If it does, and the Kona card is all of a sudden in a x1 slot instead of a x4 slot, this is exactly what will happen -

Bob Zelin
How to Open the Apple Expansion Slot Utility
this only applies to early Intel based MAC Pro computers. Current MAC Pro's do not have this feature.

navigate to -
/system/library/core services
in this folder, you will see
Expansion Slot Utility
click on this, and you can now change the number of lanes per PCI-e slot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:21:55 am

This might indicate a scratch drive error as well.

How organized are you?

Also is your dropped frames warning on in your Fcp prefs?

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:20:12 am

Thanks Jeremy. No not dropping frames, warning is on. Media is on a raid5 SAS drive tower (proavivo 8 drives) hooked up to a ATTO r380. Atto utility reports everything is fine. But I also have a JBOD sata raid 0 array and shows on that drive also play back funny. Everything plays back funny no matter what drive it is on. And as I mentioned it was all working correctly a couple of weeks ago. Same media, same 10 episodes on the SAS, same 3 documentaries on the JBOD Everything fine then, everything has a lag now.

Only thing I did was update OSX and FCP and update theKONA driver. Have now gone back to the old driver but still have the problem. Should have cloned the drive first... learned my lesson.

jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:05:36 pm

[jason levy] "Only thing I did was update OSX and FCP and update theKONA driver."

The ONLY thing you did is update 3 major components of the system? ;)

Have you tried exporting a self contained movie, bring it back in and laying that off?

Was this double system audio?

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:54:50 pm

I know I know... Mea culpa. But I'm sure 90 % of y'all are running that combination of updates. Why me??

Exports come out fine. Anything that stays in mac os is fine. Any time video comes out through the Kona its off. Export a quicktime and the quicktime is fine.. in mac os. Try to lay it back to tape or play it on the Panasonic broadcast monitor via Kona and it's off.

j.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:56:56 pm

[jason levy] "Any time video comes out through the Kona its off. "

I'm saying, export self contained, reimport, add to new timeline, and play through Kona. Still off?

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 10:27:21 pm

Yes. Still off.

j

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 12, 2010 at 5:28:59 pm

[jason levy] "Try to lay it back to tape or play it on the Panasonic broadcast monitor via Kona and it's off."

did you make sure to update the firmware on your kona card and Update the drivers too?

Applications> AJa Utilities > Kona updater

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 12, 2010 at 7:40:19 pm

Hi Gary,

I did update the drivers. I didn't know that the board had updatable firmware. I can't find that on the AJA site.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

jason

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 12, 2010 at 8:11:37 pm

[jason levy] "I did update the drivers. I didn't know that the board had updatable firmware. I can't find that on the AJA site."

look in the Aja utilities folder like I said in the previous message it is part of the driver install.

if there is a Kona Firmware Updater App, in the folder run it to make sure.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:39:24 pm

I'll check for that, thanks Gary.

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re Bob post:
on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:13:41 am

Yes first thing I thought of because I had heard of that problem and checked the slots and the slot utility settings. and then went over the whole thing again with the support guy from AJA... The card is in the right slot and the speed is set correctly. It does sound so much like that problem but I don't know what else to look at. I wonder if it's some kind of hardware failure either in the Mac or the Kona.

thanks Bob.

Jason

Return to posts index

dan luke
Re: Re Bob post:
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:36:50 am

I had a similar issue. 720 timelines played out to my Panny monitor using 720 8 bit 59.94 settings would drift out of sync. I found the workaround to be turning off the option to mirror on the desktop. 1080i 29.97 timelines playback fine mirrored to the desktop, but not 720

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:43:06 am

Thanks Dan will give that a try in the morning.. Not sure why it would suddenly break like that. 'preciate the help.

jason

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:58:22 pm

Interesting.. That made it worse. There is something fishy in Denmark.

j

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 12, 2010 at 8:53:49 pm

First, make sure you're not working in 64 bit kernal (about this mac, more info, software). If so, google how to switch it to 32 bit.

Also, across two different mac pros, I've found the 7.5 Software/firmware to be the last frame accurate Kona software to work with my systems. Don't do the 7.5.1, do the 7.5. My stuff works now, so that's what I'm happy about.

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: 7.5
on Dec 12, 2010 at 8:57:26 pm

Thanks for taking the time. I'll look at that in the morning.

jason

Return to posts index

jason levy
Problem fixed.
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:12:55 pm

Playback was set to 10 bit. Not sure who did that. Going back to the correct 8 bit setting and everything is normal.

Duh.

Sorry to waste your time fellows. I appreciate the efforts to help.

jason

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:29:07 pm

This issue also occurs when the card hasn't enough bandwith.

What kind of MACPRO
In WHAT slot is the AJA card?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]