FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mastering Error (unable to lock servo on deck)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Marshall
Mastering Error (unable to lock servo on deck)
on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:18:33 pm

I'm trying to master my DVCPro HD 720 29.97 sequence to tape through my Kona LHe. I'm going SDI in to my Panasonic 1400HD deck with RSS control and gensync from the AJA Gen 10.

My settings are as follows:

Device preset: 59.94 VFR Panasonic VTR
Protocol: Panasonic RS-422
Audio: 4 Channels
TC Source: LTC +VITC
Port: KonaLH Serial
Frame Rate: 29.97
Default TC: Drop Frame
Pre-roll: 5 seconds

Playback: AJA KonaLH 720p59.94 8bit (1280x720)

When I try to Edit to Tape (assemble) my sequence, the deck cues up to the appropriate 5 seconds before my in-point, but then sits there and eventually gives me the error "unable to lock servo on deck. adjust pre-roll settings". I've already bumped the pre-roll up to 5, then to 7 to make sure, but that's not the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks a ton!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Mastering Error (unable to lock servo on deck)
on Nov 30, 2010 at 11:10:00 pm

Did you black and code the tape for 20 seconds or so?

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:18:32 pm

I did black the tape for a full 2 minutes before trying to master. I figured out a workaround for this particular time through -- I ended up mastering through Firewire in a pinch. Not my ideal method, and certainly not the way I want to master the 13 shows I'm mastering this Spring. So I'm still searching for a solution for the problem that occurred via the Kona.

One weird thing I did notice: When I mastered via FW, the system was giving me trouble until I switched the deck audio selection from "Unity" to "PB/REC". Not sure why that would have any impact. I haven't checked mastering via Kona with that deck setting yet, though.

Mac Pro 2.66ghz, OSX 10.4.8, FCP 5.1.2

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:12:17 am

Kona control panel>Control Tab>External Reference. If it's in internal, you will never lock to the VTR. GEN10 ideally should put out 720p HD sync (did you change the DIP switches on your GEN10), and should feed both VTR Ref Vid IN, and Kona Reference IN. I have done this with 525 NTSC sync going to both. I ASSUME that your project is a 720p 59.94 project, and that you are NOT working with 23.98 media, or a 23.98 project. Is that correct ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Dec 2, 2010 at 2:41:15 pm

Thanks for the tip, Bob.

My Kona Control panel was set to Ref In for Genlock, so that wasn't the problem. I did investigate the dip switches, though, and I noticed that perhaps the three S switches could have an impact. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following:

The Kona will put out DVCPro 720p 59.94 to my deck, because that's the format the deck reads, correct? Even though my project is 720p 29.97? Because otherwise, the Gen10 manual recommends me to switch the dip switches

S1 1
S2 1
S3 0

Am I way off base here?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:14:48 pm

I don't know the whole story here. You have DVCProHD media. You have a HD1400 VTR, which operates at 720p 59.94. Your PROJECT should be AJA Kona DVCProHD 59.94, NOT 29.97.

Re-render with the correct sequence settings, and output at 59.94, and you will be ok.
720p 59.94 show the switches to be 000 for sw 6,7,8, but
switch 4 has to be set for 59.94, and switch 5 has to be set for 720, and not 1080

And check the menu in your HD1400, and make sure that it is set for 720p, and not 1080. Brand new 1400's are set for 1080 from the factory.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:26:21 pm

Thanks for your continued help, Bob!

Sorry I should have explained more at the start.

The show was shot on Varicam DVCPro-HD 29.97 -- NOT 59.94. About half of the show was digitized via firewire by an assistant, which using the FCP Easy Setup creates 29.97 clips.

I called AJA after I installed the Kona to check to see what my best options were coming in via the Kona from the 1400 (a VTR as you stated operates at 720p 59.94). They walked me through creating a custom Easy Setup (modified 23.98 VFR setup changed to 29.97) that uses the VFR flags on the tape and captures video at 29.97 from the deck via the Kona.

So my project originated at 29.97, and I was trying to stay that way without mixing frame rates and digitizing half my media with twice as many frames as I needed. Anyway, I took your advice and pasted a show sequence into a new 59.94 timeline, rendered, switched my Easy Setup to the standard DVCPro-HD 720p 59.94 Kona preset, and got the exact same problem as before.

My Gen10 dip switches are set to:

HD
HD
SD Bars

Again, a huge thanks for all your help so far. I may need to get back on the phone with AJA again if I can't figure this out.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:42:08 pm

[Travis Marshall] "switched my Easy Setup to the standard DVCPro-HD 720p 59.94 Kona preset, and got the exact same problem as before."

Of course, because the video out of your Kona is always 720p59.94 and nothing else when in 720p, so the frame rate of the timeline does not matter as you are sending 60Hz out of the Kona. (For all future readers, this is for 720p, so don't read too much in to other formats). Keeping your timeline @ 29.97 is fine. (Bob it's like capturing 720pN30 like you would on p2 cards, but from tape).

Deck should be in 720p mode, you should also be in 59/60 (not 23/24) in the menus. Set your incoming ref to SDI (bypass genlock for now, sorry Bob) and see what happens.

Also, just to be sure, select the custom easy setup that AJA walked you through, OPen ETT, set the in point in the ETT window that matches the in point on your tape, drag the sequence from the browser to the Ett window to the "Assemble" overlay.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:15:14 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Jeremy.

Deck is in 720p, 59/60 mode.

To set incoming ref to SDI, do you mean change the menu item 032 "Rec Ref" on the deck to SLTC (The TC input to the HDSDI In connector is identified and serves as the reference)?

I tried that and got an error
E-95 (INVALID EMBEDDED TC)
(When “SLTC” is selected in menu No. 032 REC REF) Appear when a time code for a signal input into the HD SDI IN connector is not stepping at the standard rate in synchronizing the image frames to be recorded with the
time code.

I tried to ETT despite the error, but got the same problem.

Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

Thanks so much for your help.

Travis

Mac Pro 2x3Ghz Quad Core Xeon, OSX 10.6.4, FCP 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:34:11 pm

[Travis Marshall] "To set incoming ref to SDI, do you mean change the menu item 032 "Rec Ref" on the deck to SLTC (The TC input to the HDSDI In connector is identified and serves as the reference)?"

No. Menu 31 should be set to input (and pull the Gen10 for now). Set menu 32 back to where it was.

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:52:27 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

I set 032 back to normal and change 031 to Input and pulled the Gen10.

Still getting the same problem.

Could it be the deck? We're getting our 1200A back from service in a few days, so I could try that once it's here.

This sure has been a frustrating problem... Thanks again for everyone's help so far.

Kona LHe, Panasonic AJ-HD1400 VTR

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:16:57 am

[Travis Marshall] "Could it be the deck?"

Could be, sure.

[Travis Marshall] "We're getting our 1200A back from service in a few days, so I could try that once it's here."

But that won't allow rs422 editing. That's why the 1400 is so much mo' betta, well, when it works.

Has it ever worked for you? Are you sure that you have the panasonic deck control chosen in the ETT device control tab?

Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:36:43 pm

I recently had this happen after a Kona driver update. Turned out the Device Control preset in FCP called "...VTR B" had the wrong framerate. It had 59.94 when it should be 29.97. (Timecode on the deck is still counted at 29.97, there is no SMPTE standard with 59.94 timecode).

I tried manually changing it and still had problems. Instead I built a fresh one or duplicated the "VTR A" of a Sony preset and made my changes. Make sure you have Panasonic in your new preset.

Chris Lundy
PostWorks, New York

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:03:04 pm

[Chris Lundy] "there is no SMPTE standard with 59.94 timecode"

careful.

both 720p59.94 and 1080p60 (which runs at 59.94) use 60 as a timebase.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:01:52 pm

I would call that true-ish. The timecode on the decks in those formats still only count in 30.

Chris Lundy
PostWorks, New York

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:06:15 pm

[Chris Lundy] "The timecode on the decks in those formats still only count in 30."

The count in 30, but they do use 60 as a timebase. There's usually an * to indicate the second frame of the frame count number in UB. So Frame 30, then Frame 30*. in 720p, the deck definitely counts to 60. But since 60p tc isn't complaint with anything else (for tc lock etc), they kinda have to use 30 over LTC.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:27:17 pm

Exactly right. So the Deck Control Preset in FCP always needs to be 29.97. If your preset has 59.94 it will not work.

Chris Lundy
PostWorks, New York

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:40:34 pm

You are going to want to use the Panasonic deck control @ 59.94, which doesn't have an A or a B. And if you're capturing VFR material, you are going to want to use the VFR deck control.

Trust me.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:39:46 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback on this. The thread kind of got away from me for a while, and I got into edit mode for the last six months. It's now time to master 13 shows and I'm remembering this problem. Nothing much has changed, but I will recap the situation:

I have a show shot originally on Varicam at 720P 30. Half the show was digitized via firewire by an assistant, and the other half was digitized by myself using the Kona LHe and a custom Final Cut capture setup created on advise from AJA technical support. The custom setup removed the VFR frames coming in through the Kona to give me 29.97 media (this was done to match the FW-digitized media, as well as to keep from doubling file sizes with 59.94 clips for no reason).

I need to master the shows via Edit to Tape back to DVCPro HD 720p 30 using the Panasonic AJ HD 1400. I'm going SDI out from the Kona to the deck, and am using an AJA Gen10 for reference, set to the standard configuration (720p 59.94 -- although I have tried changing the dip switches to the 29.97 setting). Deck control is set to AJA Kona LH 59.94 Panasonic VTR. Output is set to AJA KonaLH 720p59.94 8 Bit (1280 x 720).

I can black tapes without any problem, and the deck is seeing video and audio through the SDI in. However, when I move to Edit To Tape, set my in points and Assemble the deck cues up, the edit light goes on, but after a few seconds stops down. Final Cut gives me the error: "Unable to lock servo on deck. Please adjust device pre-roll settings and try again."

I have changed pre-roll any number of times to varying lengths with no change in the error. I'm in touch with AJA support, but they haven't figured out the problem yet.

I'm completely confused as to what is causing the problem here -- though it's clearly with device control. The RS-422 cable works fine cuing up the tape and for digitizing, so I don't think that's the culprit.

I'm hoping to refresh this thread and see if the collective wisdom of the Cow can help me out. Thanks, everyone!

Kona LHe, Panasonic AJ-HD1400 VTR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]