FORUMS: list search recent posts

1 Frame Offset Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al LeVine
1 Frame Offset Issues
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:58:10 pm

I've been having an issue with my setup that even AJA Tech Support can't help me figure out.

2 out of every 3 layoffs I put out on tape is off by 1 frame. It seems pretty random as well; either 1 frame before the hour mark, or 1 frame after the hour mark. My offset is at the AJA KONA 3 defaults of +1 frame, and I do change that from time to time depending on how the machine feels, but overall I can't seem to find a configuration that works every time.

Our setup is as follows:

MacPro (2010 Model + 16GB RAM + Fibre Channel HD)
Final Cut 7
Kona 3 + GEN10
Sony 5500 HDCAM-SR Deck

We layoff mostly in 1080psf 23.98. 422 and 444. Everything is setup correctly as far as I know (AJA Confirmed), the sequence settings, the output settings, AJA settings, etc. I tried deleting all preferences from FCP, AJA, etc... no help.

I desperately need an answer - I can say with quite a bit of honesty that this issue is the most frustrating thing I've ever worked with. Staying at work for an extra 3 hours every day because a 45 minute layoff didn't go down right is ruining everything!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 1 Frame Offset Issues
on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:51:34 pm

It happens with both 444 and 422?

Are you trisync genlocked?

You have tried the tricks such as selecting all in your timeline and rendering what FCP calls an audio mixdown?

Have you tried exporting a self contained, reimporting, then laying that off?

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Nov 23, 2010 at 5:12:04 pm

I have tried all those things. Yes, it happens with both 444 and 422 layoffs. I am genlocked as well. Both AJA and the deck see it.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:43:31 pm

Yes, the most frustrating thing. Machine control in FCP is a terrible unreliable thing. I share your frustrations, here:

KONA/FCP Layoff Problems

Still haven't found a permanent solution. Without changing settings, I just keep trying until it works. Or, better yet, take my layoff to Avid, where I get frame accurate edits every time.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:03:28 am

I second this. In my opinion this is part of you get what you pay for. Luckily most of the layoffs we do here go to a post house to get posted or satellited out, so timecode accuracy isn't much of an issue anymore.
I haven't found a fix here either...

Kona 3, to D5 and HDSR. Usually 1 frame off...sometimes not...err!

Joey

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:55:57 am

Ok, I'm not feeling so crazy right now. I've been experiencing sync issues with our new mac pro and the 8.0 software. In another mac pro I had issues with the 7.51 software (earlier post in this forum) and last week I figured out that if I downgraded to the 7.5 AJA drives, I got back my frame accurate layback results. (Kona 3, Mac Pro 2010, FCP).

It's been really frustrating trying to get it to work, but it seems to now....sort of. I haven't contacted AJA yet - we're in the middle of an office move so when configuring our new systems I'll probably have to reach out.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:47:32 am

Perhaps give VTR Exchange a shot. It's free.

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Nov 26, 2010 at 1:17:29 am

I have the solution for you, but you may not want to hear it. Use a decklink card. The drivers for deck control actually work acurately. Someone told me this once, while I was working at a post facility, so we bought one to test as we were sick of layoffs that were randomly 1 frame off. And first try it was dead on. We switched 4 fcp stations for decklink cards and haven't had to worry about 1 frame off layoff problems again. I dont work for blackmagic, just sharing my experience.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2010 at 5:24:27 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Perhaps give VTR Exchange a shot. It's free."

What he said. VTR exchange is frame accurate every time. More reliable than FCP...believe it or not.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 28, 2010 at 9:46:02 pm

Started reading this thread and got curious. I opened VTR exchange but I don't see an edit to tape function.. only capture and grab..

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:09:30 pm

[Chad Tingle] "Started reading this thread and got curious. I opened VTR exchange but I don't see an edit to tape function.. only capture and grab.."

Try "FIle Open"
the output functions are hidden until you use them.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Nov 28, 2010 at 10:18:10 pm

Just a thought -- how are you guys black encoding your tapes?
With Final Cut or through the deck?

Was thinking maybe the offset occurs when you black the tape with the deck, and assemble with final cut. A possible solution is black and assemble with final cut; skip the deck all together.

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:48:20 am

I usually use the black and code function in FCP just out of convenience.I don't do a ton of layoffs and i'm usually doing 30 sex spots, so i do right before I layoff to tape

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 29, 2010 at 2:39:15 am

Thanks Gary!!

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:59:55 am

I've found having the deck in Int-L Regen stops this from happening.

Return to posts index

Chris Lundy
on Dec 8, 2010 at 6:18:08 pm

Have found this 1 frame offset happens quite often here too. No two outputs go the same every time. It could be early a frame and then a redo with no settings changed will land correctly. INT REG is what the deck is always set to and this still occurs. It happens most when formats are being converted or pulldown is being added, but it happens on straight across outputs as well.

As for VTR-Xchange, it does seem more accurate, although not every time either. AND it can't do Assemble edits, only Inserts. That's pretty useless for long layoffs where you are not striping an entire tape.

My 2 cents.

Chris Lundy
PostWorks, New York

Return to posts index

Zdenek Klusacek
on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:54:16 am

Hi guys,

any news on the issue. I am still experiences it with FCP 7.0.3 and aja kona lhi.. Tried pretty much everything mentioned above with no result.. Cheers, Zdenek

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]