FORUMS: list search recent posts

Card Slot config

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Goldstein
Card Slot config
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:30:54 pm

I originally posted this in the FCP forum, but did not receive any replies too fast. I'm hoping a card-knowledgable user on this board may be able to help me.

Thanks in advance for any consideration...

I am asking this in this forum because this is a question for a system that primarily uses FCP (7.0.latest). Aside from Squeeze and a handful of A/V utilities, FCS is the everyday work for this system. I need to get another solid year out of this workstation.

I have a Mac Pro 1, 1 with 8mb of RAM. Kona Lhi and a FW800 card installed. I recently eBay'ed myself an ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB (for Mac) to increase the systems performance. I am specifically hoping to address issues rendering Magic Bullet Looks on higher quality formats... "Graphics Hardware does not support rendering... yada, yada..."

My question is what's the best config for the cards I have, including the stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB? Should I simply replace the old graphics card with the new, or should I use both? and if so in what slot config? I am driving two monitors... a 23" Cinema Display HD and a 20" Cinema Display. If I just use the ATI card, I think I'll need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for the 2nd display.

Thanks so much for any advice.

-Sam

MacPro 2x2.66Mhz, 8GB Ram, AJA Kona LHi

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Card Slot config
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:06:21 pm

when you install a Mac qualified graphics adaptor in SLOT 1 (the x16 slot), you will find that your mini display port adaptor will not work. You MUST do ALL the Apple updates to get this to work. I suffered thru this. Just update over and over again, until there are no more updates.

You have a MAC 1,1, which is the original MAC Pro, with the EXPANSION SLOT Utility. You MUST confirm that your slots are set correctly, so that slot 1 is x16. Later MAC's don't use expansion slot utility, but the MAC 1,1 does.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]