FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting / Encoding Aja RGB 444 Footage - problems!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Meredith
Exporting / Encoding Aja RGB 444 Footage - problems!
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:57:47 am

I have to make new masters of my completed film. It was finished in the Aja RGB 10 bit Log codec. Delivering an Apple ProRes QT file is acceptable, but the blacks lift about 6% when i convert to ProRes 4444 or 422 HQ. The highlights barely budge, but the blacks turn from black to mud. When I tested an h264 export, it worked just about perfect. I tried the Restore Black filter, but it doesn't get the blacks looking right. I tried playing with the color space settings and the auto gamma correction. None of them fixed the black boost.

This isn't a straight lumma shift – my mid tones don't really move either.

ok, so i tried ever more before hitting 'POST'. when i export Quicktime Movie in FCP to ProRes 4444, it works just right. when i drop the aja clips into a ProRes 4444 timeline, it's just right. BUT when I have it re-encoded via Media Manager, the blacks are boosted like in Compressor.

Besides current deliverables, I'd been wanting to convert the whole project to ProRes 4444 for future use, since I no longer have a Kona card and want to be able to playback without a 250MB/sec RAID.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

Sean Meredith
Director
"Dante's Inferno"
http://www.dantefilm.com

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: Exporting / Encoding Aja RGB 444 Footage - problems!
on Nov 10, 2010 at 2:30:07 am

I've had the same issue with 444RGB captured as 444 via Kona 3. Perhaps it was my render setting in FCP, but I had to color correct the black lift in 422 and I know you want to keep the 444, as did I.
I'm a novice to color correction, hopefully someone will let us know what we're doing wrong with 444RGB footage with this lift in the black levels and how we can deal with it correctly. I've seen during playback that the levels are fine while the playhead is stopped, but lifted during playback. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong as far as settings go.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]