FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona3 downconvert without the need of a deck ???

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anhtu Vu
Kona3 downconvert without the need of a deck ???
on Oct 31, 2010 at 11:42:07 pm

Can i use the Kona3 card to do the down convert and, in real time, record it back in FCP ??? Basically, i need to find the best way to downconvert a 1920x1080i @ 29.97 to SD for DVD. I don't own a Digibeta. Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Kona3 downconvert without the need of a deck ???
on Nov 1, 2010 at 6:40:38 am

The Kona (and all other capture cards) only convert when you capture or output. It won't work on ONE mac. You can do this with TWO computers and two capture cards. But you are only going to DVD. Just export your timeline as a self contained QT, and use the BEST QUALITY settings in Compressor for DVD. It does a great job.

This was discussed last week, on a post just a few below this one.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/877667

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Nov 1, 2010 at 1:41:23 pm

Downconvert via compressor look pretty bad. I've tried virtually every setting combination...still not acceptable for most of my costumers.
My workflow is usually HD output from my FCP to a post house for downscale ( i believe they use Teranex ) then i encode with CinemaCraft. This workflow makes beautiful looking DVD.
I just want to test the downconvert of some of these capture cards and see where they stand next to the big boys. Oh well, i guess i need a deck or a second system to record back.

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 2, 2010 at 5:17:39 am

Depending on how long your show is you can modify your compressor settings to CBR (constant Bit rate) and get great results. Especially if you're dealing with anything under 60 minutes.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:23:27 pm

I have not used VBR in years...CBR all the way here ! As i said, Compressor is not bad but it's the downrez that kill it. There's still a good difference between hardware and software downscaling.

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:10:18 pm

[Anhtu Vu] "There's still a good difference between hardware and software downscaling."

I agree with you on that.... I deliver to stations who want H.264 or MPEG 2 files and It looks so much better just sending them a Beta Sp tape downn converted right from the LHI.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]