FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing from a Sony DVD player through HDMI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Capturing from a Sony DVD player through HDMI
on Oct 29, 2010 at 6:46:37 pm

I have a Kona LHi card installed in my Mac Pro with the breakout box. I'm trying to capture video from a DVD player through HDMI but I'm not seeing a picture in Final Cut Pro. I'm getting audio, but it's sketchy, cuts in and out every few seconds. I've tried going through all the capture settings in Final Cut Pro and the AJA control panel, but I can't seem to get anything correct. I have the HDMI output of the DVD player set to 720x480 so it's not up-converting it. But if I connect the composite cable from the DVD player to the breakout box with audio cables, it shows a picture and captures fine. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: Capturing from a Sony DVD player through HDMI
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:25:32 pm

Is it by chance a commercial DVD? If so the copy protection may be kicking in and the Kona card will not capture protected media.

If it is just an unprotected DVD you may have your capture settings wrong. Make sure your settings in FCP match with the AJA Control panel. Use easy setup in FCP and see if that solves your issue.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Nov 1, 2010 at 5:29:02 pm

That's the thing, it's not a copy protected DVD. If I play it out of the other outputs, it shows up in the FCP capture window. But through HDMI, I get nothing. Is it possible the DVD player itself is sending out a protected signal even though the DVD playing is not copy protected?

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:41:41 pm

I could be wrong on this but it is just a thought... HDMI is an HD signal path and it may be that you cannot send a standard def signal properly through it. Have you tried letting the DVD player up-convert to HD and see if you get signal that way?

Again, just a thought. It could be the Kona just cant accept a Standard Def signal through the HDMI but I have not tested it, but someone here should know for sure.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Giovanni Massa
on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:26:25 am

I'm actually having the same kind of problem but with a different DVD player. I've tried setting the output resolution of the player to match the resolution of the DVD - 480i - and also up-converting to 1080p but nothing. The LHi control panel shows the video feed in both cases - example: "525i29.97" HDMi in, so I guess it's getting something (when I power off the player the connection message is gone) but when I start the logging nothing happens. The capture setting should be fine.....no "preview disabled" .
Great to be here.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
You Cannot Capture from a Sony DVD player through HDMI
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:54:40 pm

It is called HDCP and it limits what can be recorded over the HDMI port and whether you made the disc or not the player is sending the HDCP call back to prevent recording.

HDMI was designed to prevent what you are trying to do.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
Re: You Cannot Capture from a Sony DVD player through HDMI
on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:11:31 pm

Crap, I'm just trying to use the HDMI input to capture DVD's we've created in-house or given to us by clients with a license to use for commercial spots. I understand the HDCP and had a feeling it was doing that. I'll just have to keep using the component video and analog audio inputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]