FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 HD to SD....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Nethery
Kona 3 HD to SD....
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:01:54 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to down covert a video via software using the Kona 3 hardware?

I have a couple of videos that I need to deliver to DVD. FCP and Compressor don't seem to be the greatest down converters.

But I don't have any decks just a play back monitor for CC. I would be nice if I could just export a movie file to SD some how and let the Kona 3 do the work and render the file out to the desktop.

Thanks for the thoughts,
dan.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Kona 3 HD to SD....
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:52:51 am

[Dan Nethery] "Does anyone know if it's possible to down covert a video via software using the Kona 3 hardware?"

No. The Kona hardware cannot do what you ask. It will downconvert the HD signal to an SD signal, so you can play out to an SD monitor, or DVD recorder, but it cannot...

[Dan Nethery] "just export a movie file to SD some how and let the Kona 3 do the work and render the file out to the desktop."

Sorry, the hardware doesn't do that. No capture cards to.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:33:03 pm

I beg to differ. I've had excellent results taking a reference HD movie to compressor and compressing to anamorphic SD for DVD playback. Looks as good as the original.

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html

TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:52:51 pm

I too have been able to get good-to-great results with compressor doing the downconvert. (not sure I would say it is as good as the HD original though.)

But I have also used the Kona 3 to do the downconvert also. But you need a 2 system setup. I go out the MacPro via the Kona 3 into a MBP with a SD Io. This gives the best results and it is down in real time.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:30:52 am

I, too, have had excellent results encoding HD to a DVD with Compressor. However, if I need a SD file I use my Kona 3 to downconvert and send its SDI out to an AJA IO connected to another computer where I capture the SD. That also works great.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:53:43 am

I'm getting ready to do a downconverted HD to SD SDI LHi out to an ioHd SDI in for a DVD. Did most of you do it letterboxed? (My preference) Good results?

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.6.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz on order!

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:35:35 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Did most of you do it letterboxed? (My preference) Good results?"

Argh! No! Anamorphic is the way to go. Never letterbox for DVD, always go for 16x9FHA.

-Stuart Simpson
7 MacPros - Kona 3, Kona LH & Kona LHi
1 G5 - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:35:38 pm

16x9 is the way to go. Most of the TVs that people are going to have anymore are going to be HD 16x9 TVs. So when the TV or blue ray players scale the video up to fit the display it will fill the screen. No black behind the times in the quality of your deliveries pillars or window box.

So I don't have a second large workstation with another kona card. But I do have a hi5 hdmi to sdi. I'm thinking about trying to connect it to my display out of my macbook pro and playing it off of that and in to my workstation....

I'm slammed right now, but I might try this later tonight.
Thanks everyone for the input.
dan.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:55:24 pm

John or others, When you downconvert from the one AJA system to another, HD to SD via SDI, what is the aspect ratio you use for the SD out of the first system? 16x9 Letterbox, anamorphic, crop? Does the second system automatically conform to the aspect ratio you send it? I am tending to go the the 2 system hardware route, but would also like opinions on software solutions. There seems to be some differences of opinion. Would love to hear some workflow stories all the way to DVD including codecs. Am thinking I will be transcoding EX1 footage to ProRes, edit, convert with the two systems to SD ProRes and then Compressor to DVD, MPEG2, I beleve at the moment, unless there is a better way. Unfortunately, some of these DVD's will probably be played on older 4x3 monitors. It is for the Hawaii state Public Library system. The ones with budgets, the state legislature also getting it, will probably be 16x9 HD capable, but our contract states SD DVD's.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.6.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz on order!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 26, 2010 at 7:10:48 pm

I usually keep the aspect at 16x9. There was one show where we did a center punch which worked fine since we shot it with the center safely framed. Our workflow when going directly from HD to SD DVD is to export a self-contained QT at current settings from the timeline. Then, that's imported to Compressor where the mv2 and ac3 files are encoded. I also use BitVice a lot to encode the mv2s. We use DVDSP to author the DVDs and the 16:9 Pan-Scan & Letterbox Display Mode so the DVD Player will show the video as 16x9 on widescreens and letterboxed on 4x3 sets.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Oct 27, 2010 at 12:11:57 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "The ones with budgets, the state legislature also getting it, will probably be 16x9 HD capable, but our contract states SD DVD's"

If you make an anamorphic DVD and then put it in a DVD player that knows it's connected to a 4x3 television then the DVD player will magically letterbox the image for you. You will correctly fulfill your contract if you make a DVD that is 16x9 FHA. Stay anamorphic and let the DVD player fix it.

-Stuart Simpson
7 MacPros - Kona 3, Kona LH & Kona LHi
1 G5 - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 27, 2010 at 12:17:04 pm

[Dan Nethery] "I have a couple of videos that I need to deliver to DVD. FCP and Compressor don't seem to be the greatest down converters."

You don't need to downconvert your HD timeline to make an SD DVD. We make SD DVDs all the time via Compressor / DVD Studio Pro straight from the HD QT.

I posted this on the FCP FAQ page two years ago.....

How do I create a Standard DVD from an HD Project?

From your finished HD timeline:

File > Export > Quicktime Movie.

Leave it set to "Current Settings"

You can export a Reference movie if you'd like, meaning leave "Make Self Contained Movie" UNchecked.

Take that Quicktime movie into Compressor.

Choose the DVD Compression of your choice, such as DVD 90 Minutes High Quality. Compressor will create a Standard Definition 16:9 MPEG-2.

Also select the Dolby Digital Audio to create the AC-3 audio file.

Launch DVD Studio Pro and bring the MPEG-2 and AC-3 into your project.

Now create a DVD!

DVD Studio Pro will create a DVD in 16:9 widescreen format that will automatically play Letterboxed on a 4:3 TV and full screen on a 16:9 widescreen.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]