FORUMS: list search recent posts

betasp through LHI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd mcmullen
betasp through LHI
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:41:17 pm

Maybe this is a thread for the compression forum but I am trying to get some technical clarity on the workflow and codec I should use when going from betasp (SD) through LHI to Media 100 or FCP.
My thought is to go through component>aja SDI converter(HD10A)>LHI card.

However, compression wise, I am hoping to match the quality of the betasp footage as best as possible because I will have to do some color correction later.

I have used Prores standard but I believe I will to need to bump it up a notch for the color work.

I am leaning toward uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 however I see an AJA 10-log and an AJA 10 bit RGB codec.

Any thoughts on these codecs and this workflow? I do eventually need to upconvert to HD.

Thanks

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
Re: betasp through LHI
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:40:09 pm

[todd mcmullen] "My thought is to go through component>aja SDI converter(HD10A)>LHI card."

[todd mcmullen] "I do eventually need to upconvert to HD."

Todd forgive me for cutting and pasting but I'm doing my best to answer the parts of your question I'm sure about. If you're going to up convert with the LHI I would agree with you using the HD10A to get you into the HD SDI color space and as you mentioned you will need the extra bit depth for color correction. As for whether you should go pro res or uncompressed I think that all depends on how fast your raid is and the amount of material in your project. As for the 10 bit or 10 bit RGB someone else with a little more knowledge might be able to give some better insight

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:38:00 pm

You don't need a component to sdi converter with the LHi. That can capture component directly. Your footage is not 10-bit log, so there's no reason to capture it as so. Pro Res SQ really will be your best option outside of 10-Bit uncompressed.

There have been posts upon posts in this forum about pro res SQ versus HQ, so I'll leave at, if I were you, I'd capture Pro Res 422 (non-HQ), the only exception being if your client absolutely insists on HQ.

With the Kona LHi, you can upconvert on ingest also. Read the manual on the specifics, since you'll have to choose how you upconvert, whether you pillar box, center wide, etc. It's all in there.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:26:06 pm

thanks all
As far as component through LHI, yes that is how I have captured before. However, I assumed I would get a better signal, better image, by going through an SDI pipeline. Now how much better is the question. My goal is to keep my finished image as close to the raw footage off the Betasp as much as possible.The reason is the betasp footage is old and not as clean in the first place.
I should also note that I am only re-digitizing a program and therefore looking for a more uncompressed signal.
thanks

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:53:15 am

You won't necessarily get a better imaging by converting it to SDI first. The only real reason I can think of for you to use a converter, is if you were using a Kona 3, that doesn't have any analog inputs, but since your LHi takes analog it, there's no need to put a converter between the deck and the editing system.

Again, technically Pro Res is a lossy codec, but it's designed to stand up to color correction and com positing. It is a 10 bit codec (despite the fact that your source footage is 8 bit), but again if you'd like to split hairs, capturing 10-bit uncompressed will be the highest quality. You'll need a fast RAID in order to capture, especially if you're going to upconvert on ingest using the LHi.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]