FORUMS: list search recent posts

How loud is the Kona?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petros Kolyvas
How loud is the Kona?
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:27:45 am

I spend over half my time working on sound and my computer is in a near-silent room. My current video I/O, while cooled passively in its breakout-box, is unreliable and the support for it is even worse - even if it's designed locally.

Time to stop wasting time and switch to AJA. So, looking at the 3G or LHi how loud is the fan? With my current machine, ambient noise levels clock in at about 44dB RMS at ear level.

Thanks!

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr.
Re: How loud is the Kona?
on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:15:48 pm

The KONA has no fan and makes no noise.

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:17:54 pm

Both the Kona 3G and LHi product information shows they have a small CPU fan.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:48:54 pm

Very small fan... and I would say that your Mac Pro will make way more noise than your Kona would ever make. The Kona is a non-issue, sound wise.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:57:21 pm

Thanks. I had read a note (admittedly a single note) about the fan being loud. Just wanted a few opinions - it is greatly appreciated.

--

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr.
on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:35:20 pm

The KONA-3 does not have a fan, the KONA-3G does.

I have a 3G on order but I have no idea when it will ship.

If you are concerned get a KONA-3, but your system fans will still make the most noise.

We remote all machine from audio critical environments.

Fred

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:17:47 pm

It's just about like this:

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 14, 2010 at 1:18:52 am

Touché sir. Touché.

--

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:26:06 pm

[Petros Kolyvas] "Touché sir. Touché."

;)

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Oct 14, 2010 at 12:46:41 am

When I first installed the Kona LHi (3G) in my Mac Pro I was very surprised by the fan noise. At the time I was sitting about 6 feet away from the tower in a room with a good amount of ambient city noise.

Although it might not be as loud as some of the fans in the unit, it definitely is more constant. I know if I were attempting a critical listening environment, I would not be happy with my machine in the room.

KC

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 14, 2010 at 12:52:51 am

Good to know. That was my main concern. Perhaps its time to consider an ISO box too.

--

Return to posts index

Carlos Manuel
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:24:11 am

I just installed a new LHi in a new Mac Pro and the fan was definitely loud. We have had three others running on our other systems for at least a year and they sound nothing like this one. It sounds as if the fan blade is just barely grazing something inside the housing or causing something loose to vibrate. I have sent it back to B&H and expect a new one in the next few days. Hopefully it sounds more like the beach and less like a weed whacker.

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:16:04 am

Lhi is very loud here as well. I switched it back for the Lhe and is MUCH better. No fan on the Lhe, big heatsink.

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]