FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX900 timecode via Kona LHi to FCP looking for workflows

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Merkel
HDX900 timecode via Kona LHi to FCP looking for workflows
on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:13:43 pm

I had an issue in the past with capturing timecode to FCP with DVCPro HD footage from an HDX900 camera via SDI out with my Kona LHi card.

Does anyone know a workflow that works. I have to capture material this Thursday and will not have the camera to test until Thursday afternoon after the shoot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HDX900 timecode via Kona LHi to FCP looking for workflows
on Oct 12, 2010 at 5:28:11 pm

Use AJA VTR Exchange and choose rp188 as the tc in.

I should add with the LHi, you can also send LTC from the camera and choose LTC as the tc in as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Oct 12, 2010 at 9:30:02 pm

Jeremy,

I recently tried this within FCP on and 8 core mac pro that doesn't have a 6 pin firewire 400, so I subsituted a 800 to 400 firewire cable and had no luck. Do you know if AJA VTR exchange will solve my problem as well.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 12, 2010 at 9:48:08 pm

[Chad Tingle] "I recently tried this within FCP on and 8 core mac pro that doesn't have a 6 pin firewire 400, so I subsituted a 800 to 400 firewire cable and had no luck. Do you know if AJA VTR exchange will solve my problem as well."

Meaning you are trying to capture via fw out of the camera? Unfortunately, that won't work in this situation.

What I am recommending (and what I think Kris is trying to do) is using baseband video (HDSDI) and a capture device, like a Kona card (or ioHD or ioExpress, ie any HD capable AJA device).

You can capture fw via FCP and a firewire port, but the tc is lost.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:50:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What I am recommending (and what I think Kris is trying to do) is using baseband video (HDSDI) and a capture device, like a Kona card (or ioHD or ioExpress, ie any HD capable AJA device)."

If I go SDI out of the HDX900 into my LHI.. what am I using to for machine control and timecode..

Thanks in advance,

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:08:19 pm

[Chad Tingle] "what am I using to for machine control and timecode.. "

I see what you're saying now. You can't use the camera like a deck so you won't get machine control. You could "crash record" by using VTR Exchange and the instructions I posted earlier (either use rp188 tc over HDSDI or send ltc from the camera to ltc in on Kona and set tc for LTC in VTR Exchange) then hit play on the camera and record on VTR Exchange.

I'd recommend just getting a deck. That way you have full control over it all and use the regular deck rs422 protocol.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:15:34 pm

I agree.. I can get my hands on a 1400.Thanks for the quick response.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:39:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. I did find the answer shortly after posting in the FCP forum. The VTR Xchange works well. I was able to get the camera early this afternoon and do some tests. AJA rocks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:53:32 pm

[Kris Merkel] "AJA rocks."

So does testing before shoot day! ;)

jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]