FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p60 input/capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Killmon
1080p60 input/capture
on Oct 7, 2010 at 8:52:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently using a KONA 3 setup for capture from videogame consoles and PCs for game related marketing materials (trailers, demos, etc.). This is working pretty well, but I'm worried about using it into the future. At the moment, I've got no way to capture full 1080p60 material or surround sound. I already have a need to get surround sound, and I feel 1080p60 is just over the horizon. I'm especially thinking about this as I prepare to build a new edit system, since I need to be settling on what hardware will be part of it.

My question has a couple parts. The first is: are there any converters on the market that will accept HDMI or DVI input at 1080p60 and output that over dual-link HD-SDI? That's the only way I can see getting 1080p60 into the KONA 3, and without a converter box capable of that, I'm afraid I'm out of luck with the KONA 3.

The flipside of that question is: if there's no converter that does that, does the KONA LHi's HDMI input allow for 1080p60 capture? And, if so, can its 3G HD-SDI output be used to monitor it on a suitable broadcast monitor? Will that HDMI capture support up to 8 channels of LPCM from 7.1 sources like a PS3 or PC?

Finally, if I do move to the KONA LHi, the only problem I foresee is ingesting surround sound from the Xbox 360. Its HDMI output still only allows for encoded Dolby Digital or WMA Multichannel audio, no uncompressed LPCM surround sound. Would I need to buy a box like Dolby's DP564 and drop the Xbox's TOSLINK output into it? If so, how could I subsequently get all six AES channels into my system when the KONA LHi only supports two channels of AES in or out?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 1080p60 input/capture
on Oct 8, 2010 at 1:01:30 pm

[Matt Killmon] " and I feel 1080p60 is just over the horizon."

Keep walking! It might be a little while before it hits consumers.

When it does hit, I'm sure AJA will make an HDMI to Dual link converter, or any combo therein. Your Kona 3 can capture 1080p60.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 8, 2010 at 9:40:27 pm

[Matt Killmon] "The first is: are there any converters on the market that will accept HDMI or DVI input at 1080p60 and output that over dual-link HD-SDI? "

The Hi5-3G does this now - takes Dual Link, 3G or single link HDSDI and converts to HDMI

" does the KONA LHi's HDMI input allow for 1080p60 capture? And, if so, can its 3G HD-SDI output be used to monitor it on a suitable broadcast monitor? "

Yes- but NO

Yes the K3 card can and does handle 60p, However the content you are attempting to capture has HDCP copy protection on the HDMI and that would keep you from capturing that content digitally. If you are doing marketing for these companies there are ways to capture the Game content in the LAB, but all AJa products support the HDCP protocols, so if HDCP is in your signal- the Aja tools will not support capture of that content.

Component still works fine.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Matt Killmon
on Oct 9, 2010 at 12:49:14 am

[gary adcock]The Hi5-3G does this now - takes Dual Link, 3G or single link HDSDI and converts to HDMI

Useful for someone, but that's actually the opposite of what I want to accomplish—unless that is bi-directional. I'm trying to convert from HDMI to dual-link HD-SDI in the case of using the KONA 3.

However the content you are attempting to capture has HDCP copy protection on the HDMI and that would keep you from capturing that content digitally.

Actually, the good news there is that the content is NOT protected by HDCP. I work directly for the publisher (in house with one of the dev teams), so I do all of my capture from test consoles which do not use HDCP on their HDMI outputs. So it sounds like the LHi would be perfect for this.

The question about ingesting converted (decoded to 6-channel AES) surround audio with the LHi stands, though.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 10, 2010 at 11:21:16 pm

[Matt Killmon] "Useful for someone, but that's actually the opposite of what I want to accomplish—unless that is bi-directional. I'm trying to convert from HDMI to dual-link HD-SDI in the case of using the KONA 3."

Then you would use the HA5 3G which is the opposite path for conversion.

"The question about ingesting converted (decoded to 6-channel AES) surround audio with the LHi stands, though. "

The problem is that FCP does not support surround sound so it is hard to capture- you would be better off trying to do dis-embed from the AES signal to get the proper outputs.

One thing you have not mentioned was disk speeds- you will need 2X the bandwidth for storage that you use with 60i content.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:29:44 pm

Does an ha5 3G exist?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:29:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Does an ha5 3G exist?"

IT seems that you maybe correct, the connection I was thinking about was not Using HDMI.

The converter I was thinking of was in and out but only as Dual Link to 3G and Back.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]