FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe and 1080p25

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Wright
Kona LHe and 1080p25
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:28:33 pm

Hi all

Have been shooting 1080i50 footage till now on EX1. Looks fine via LHe on an Samsung HD Ready display.

However test clips in 1080p25 of diagonally moving objects (cars, people walking) look really jittery on my monitor output from the LHe.

Is this just the nature of how progressive footage displays or is my setup in FCP wrong?

I suspect I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Get FCP 7.0. Get Kona 8.0 drivers and get the 1080p25 Easy Setup that comes with the deal. Is that the correct interpretation of the problem?

Otherwise I'm going back to 1080i50 shooting. It's easier on the stomach.

Current setup:
OS 10.4.11
FCP 6.0.6
Kona Driver 6.0.2

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Wayne

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona LHe and 1080p25
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:29:51 pm

You can still use the 1080i50 setting, just make sure that all the movies in your project have a field dom on 'none' and you are working on a timeline that has 'none' as the field dom as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Wayne Wright
on Oct 8, 2010 at 8:53:55 am

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the advice. Although field dom all set to none I still get that juddering effect when diagonally moving images are put out to the display.
As I understand it from previous posts this is to be expected, as although everything is progressive internally all tv outputs end up i, so we're getting two fields in succession that are the same? (This is not comfortable on the eye).

The Cinema Display of the output in the canvas is naturally fine. Maybe I should just use that for monitoring when working with progressive footage. As I understand it though, p footage will supply a better source material with more diverse output deliverables down the line? Would that also apply when outputting this material via Compressor to PAL (interlaced of course) SD DVDs? Will the fields ultimately transition smoothly visually at the end of the pipeline?

Thanks for any feedback.
Regards
Wayne

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2010 at 11:19:52 am

Any chance you could upload a second or two of test footage? Make sure it's a problem area.

jeremy

Return to posts index

Wayne Wright
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:30:09 am

Hi Jeremy

Unable to upload any footage at this stage for you to view but thanks anyway.

Wayne

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 8, 2010 at 9:34:05 pm

[Wayne Wright] "As I understand it from previous posts this is to be expected, as although everything is progressive internally all tv outputs end up i, so we're getting two fields in succession that are the same? (This is not comfortable on the eye)."

Correct Wayne,

The correct setting to allow for motion should be either the EasySetup for " Aja Kona 25i" in drivers before v8.0 and "25PsF" in the 8.0 and later drivers

Your LCD is only showing you what you ask for and 24/ 25p is hard on the eyes when even in the theatre every frame is flashed 2 times on screen.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Wayne Wright
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:36:38 am

Hi Gary

OK I'll check out the new Easy Setups once I've done the upgrades.
Thanks for advice.

Regards
Wayne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]