FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I drop-in a shot to my 59.94 tape, played out from 23.98 sequence?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kommoss
How do I drop-in a shot to my 59.94 tape, played out from 23.98 sequence?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 9:50:37 pm

Hi all - my problem is as follows:
I've played out to tape, using 59.94 video output, from my 23.98 sequence in final cut. Pulldown is automatically applied, and all is well. However, now I want to change a shot by doing an insert. On my 59.94 tape, the in-point is located not at the 'beginning' of a frame, but after one field. I can't set field-accurate in-points, only frame-accurate ones. So far, the only workaround I can find, is to find an edit (on tape) that occurs before the shot I want to replace, and that lands on an even cadence, and insert as far as an out-point that also lands on an even cadence. This seems like a very long-winded way of doing this, I'm wondering if there is a better way? I want to avoid time-consuming conversions of my 23.98 sequence to a 29.97 one, hardware / software pulldown seems to work very well - it's just the whole inserting shots thing that seems to be getting me.

Any thoughts / feedback most sincerely appreciated!
James.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How do I drop-in a shot to my 59.94 tape, played out from 23.98 sequence?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:24:32 pm

You found the work around. Better than laying off the whole thing again, right? :)

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
Re: How do I drop-in a shot to my 59.94 tape, played out from 23.98 sequence?
on Oct 8, 2010 at 12:15:08 pm

I would make the change and lay it off again. For one thing you will have a complete program that you can store as a part of your NLE system. Start the process and go to lunch. A long lunch.

Another workaround is a simple one if you have two Tape decks. Lay the segment you want on another tape. Then use the linear editor built into the Tape machine to edit the scene into your existing segment. Should work flawlessly although it is an admittedly inelegant solution. Should only take a few minutes.

FCP 7
MAC 8 core
BlackMagic Studio Pro
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]