FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja kona 3 -FCP - PVW2800 dub with timecode looping

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dolps fernando
Aja kona 3 -FCP - PVW2800 dub with timecode looping
on Oct 4, 2010 at 7:47:02 pm

Hi guys. I'm having problem on how to setup my machine. Actually, I just want to dub my 30 seconder material into tape looping continuously until the end of the tape with the timecode based from the timeline of FCP(example: my material will start at 01:00:00:00 and will loop back again to 01:00:00:00 after playing my 30s mats... It's more of a repeating timecode. I was hoping if I could just loop my playback on my FCP and the deck will record the video and timecode based on the timeline? Is it possible with this setup or I should buy invest on additional equipment to do this. Thank you guys.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Aja kona 3 -FCP - PVW2800 dub with timecode looping
on Oct 5, 2010 at 1:38:23 am

Won't be able to do it without breaking control track.

Return to posts index

dolps fernando
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:32:41 am

Thanks Jeremy, This might sound so stupid but how do I get to break the control track? Do you mean, manually breaking the timecode? Another thing, I've been looking through the net and saw a product from ESE SD-488. Will this help me?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:40:08 am

It won't help. The deck won't change tc without stopping the deck first.

Just curious, is this a delivery requirement?

Return to posts index

dolps fernando
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:18:18 am

Unfortunately yes, that is their delivery requirement. I hope you can enlighten me, The SDI has an embedded timecode, right? If yes, can I decode it and use it as an external timecode input on my pvw2800? Do I need to buy additional equipment? I hope there's a solution, I'll be doing this for the next 6 months.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:29:32 am

Tell me exactly what you need to deliver.

Return to posts index

dolps fernando
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:17:37 am

I need to deliver BetacamSP tape with material starting at TC 01:00:00:00 and loop the material with the same timecode 5 times. Someone told me to dub it to digibeta and use it to dub to pvw2800 but I don't have that much budget to buy a digibeta. I don't know if there's such a card that has a timecode out and can output the current output in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:48:35 am

It won't work like that. You'll need to lay it off 5 times separately.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 5, 2010 at 12:04:59 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It won't work like that. You'll need to lay it off 5 times separately."

Ditto to what Jeremy says.

What you're trying to do is very simple and you don't need any additional equipment.

Preset your TC correctly so you have pre-roll, usually we set our TC to 00:58:00:00 to allow for Black, Bars and Tone, Slate and then Program Start at 01:00:00:00. Then Assemble edit your master from the timeline so your show starts at 01:00:00:00. TC comes down the RS422 cable, not SDI from FCP.

Set up your Edit so you leave yourself about 1 minute of black pad at the end of the piece.

Now shuttle back maybe 20 seconds into the black. Preset your Timecode again on the VTR, I would suggest to 00:59:30:00 and hit Rec / Play to break the control track and start your TC over again. Lay down about 20 seconds of new TC and then make your Assemble edit again so your show will start at 01:00:00:00.

Repeat this process. It's quite simple and doesn't require any additional hardware.

We've had to do similar things to this, though we never had to restart the TC at 01:00:00:00 each time. We usually have to start each successive repeat of the same story at the top of an even minute.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]