FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mastering from LHI to Beta SP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Tingle
Mastering from LHI to Beta SP
on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:01:12 pm

I just wanted to throw out a thought I had about mastering to my UVW1800 via the LHI Breakout box. I've mastered a few jobs to my Beta via component and I'm just not happy with the quality I'm getting. The footage seems to have lost a bit of the chroma and although I expected a slight loss of color with the down conversion I didn't expect it to be as was severe. When I playback the beta tape I'm watching it on a panasonic BLH1760 broadcast monitor. I'm coming right out of the LHI breakout box component into the UVW1800 and taking the component output of the UVW1800 into the Panasonic monitor. i see slight degradation in the graphics and the footage has a washed out look. I've checked sync as well as termination of the component cables on both devices and the breakout box. Any suggestions or other troubleshooting methods I might have overlooked would be greatly appreciated.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Mastering from LHI to Beta SP
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:29:00 pm

I would check these:

LHi -> monitor (direct) - make sure that you're seeing exactly what you should so you rule out the card.

Beta deck proc amp controls - make sure these are set to defaults (nominal) as these affect output signal from tape.

Other than that, I can only think that the deck might need calibration.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:07:30 pm

Is your component set to 'Beta' instead of SMPTE?

Find it in the analog out tab of the control panel

Also, I'd suggest checking SD on an SD monitor, you are watching downconverted SD that is then rescaled up to HD. Or go to 1:1 mode on your monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:18:36 pm

Thanks guys...I'll give it a whirl and let you know what I come up with.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]