FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi Input Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kirsch
Kona LHi Input Issues
on Sep 18, 2010 at 2:27:17 pm

My final goal is to capture video from an old Sony analogue camcorder and upconvert the video to HD via the Kona LHi.
So far, I have tried to capture 1080i video from a Sony HDV camcorder using the Kona LHi. I have tried several scenarios and none them were successful.

1. I tried to connect the camcorder directly to the Kona LHi card using the break-out cable and the component video output of the camera. I do not get any video input signal to the Kona LHi at all in this case. The Kona control panel shows 'No Video' for the analogue video input.

2. I connected the camcorder to a receiver via component video and then the component output of the receiver to the Kona Lhi break-out cable. No video input signal whatsoever in that case either.

3. I connected the camcorder to the receiver via component video and then the receiver to the Kona LHi via HDMI. In this case I do get a video input signal on the Kona control panel. The video is recognized correctly as 1080i and there is a blue line all the way to the framebuffer which is also set to 1080i. The video signal however is not continuous but alternated between 1080i and No Video about every 1 to 2 secs.There are pulses of a video signal but not a continuous video stream. When I try to capture the video in Final Cut Pro, I get an all green screen with jagged black lines that zig zag across the screen about once every 1 - 2 seconds.

I am wondering most why I do not get a video input signal at all when I try to connect the camcorder to the capture card via component video directly? I know I can easily capture the video using a firewire port but that's not what I am trying to accomplish. I would like to get video capture from analogue as well as digital and HD camcorders working with Kona LHi.

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona LHi Input Issues
on Sep 18, 2010 at 8:42:33 pm

[Thomas Kirsch] "I am wondering most why I do not get a video input signal at all when I try to connect the camcorder to the capture card via component video directly?"

Analog input sources need to be manually set in the Kona Control Panel, if you right click ( or hold the control key and click your mouse) you will be able to set the input to accept component input.

What camera you are using, some are not compatible for HDMI input.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Thomas Kirsch
Re: Kona LHi Input Issues
on Sep 18, 2010 at 11:41:16 pm

Thank you, Gary for your response. I now got it all working using component video via the break-out cable bnc inputs. It turned out that the three rca to bnc converters that I was using to connect the camcorder component video cable to the Kona LHi break-out cable apparently were all bad. After I replaced them with new ones, I got a nice video input signal and was able to capture the video in Final Cut Pro.
The camera I was using was a Sony HDR-FX1000. Even though the camera has no direct HDMI outputs, I was able to display the video on a monitor via HDMI. At that point the camera was connected to a receiver component video in and the HDMI video out of the receiver was connected to the monitor. When I connect the same receiver HDMI output to the Kona LHi HDMI input, then the video input in the Kona control panel is alternating between no video and the correct video signal. When I try to capture this, I get a green screen. I assume that is because the receiver might output HDCP content through its HDMI out port.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]