Kona 3G is out with HDMI port

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

gary adcock
Re: Kona 3G is out with HDMI port
on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:25:36 pm

[Warren Eig] "http://www.aja.com/products/kona/kona3g/

Here's the link. DId I miss this?"

It was announced today (on my blog) along with the KiPro mini- a much smaller smaller, lighter (only 1lb or.5k) unit that records digital only signal without conversion in all 4 flavors of ProRes to CF cards. ( currently only sandisk is supported). for $1995.USD

and the Hi5-3D a stereo preview converter that takes dual stream HDSDI and muxes the signal to output over HDMI 1.4a or as single link HDSDI for $490USD.

( I am at IBC working for AJA as well as speaking on 3D as part of the digital media conference.

gary

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:03:01 pm

Wow!

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 11, 2010 at 6:09:21 pm

ok, now for the question that 99% of the people really care about. The Kona 3G is $1995 retail. Is there any reason to buy the more expensive AJA Kona 3 anymore ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 12, 2010 at 3:56:48 am

LTC In and Out... Hallelujah!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 12, 2010 at 5:18:06 am

[Warren Eig] "Isn't just a kona 3 with 3D and dual link Sdi?
"

The 3D is available on the old kona 3, it adds LTC in, HDMI and DUAL 3G in and out

Dual 3G is capable of moving 1.5 Gigabytes of Data per second.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:18:25 am

Just to flesh that out the K3G and the Hi53D both have HDMI 1.4a output for stereographic monitoring to consumer 3D displays, AES is now on BNC.

1.4a (as opposed ot 1.4 or any other HDMI flavour) is a big deal as we think it's essential to handshake with the new 3d monitors that have no 3d menu controls.

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr.
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:28:24 pm

What perfect timing.

I wanted a Kona 3 for our new suite, and the best price I found we 2,200.00.

I guess I'll be ordering the Kona 3G instead.

Thanks

Fred

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:25:17 pm

[Bob Zelin] "k, now for the question that 99% of the people really care about. The Kona 3G is $1995 retail. Is there any reason to buy the more expensive AJA Kona 3 anymore ?"

If you go by the product list on the AJA website, the Kona 3G looks to be a replacement of the Kona 3.

Based on that, I'd say the answer to your question is no.

Return to posts index

Gary Taylor
on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:39:54 am

Hi Gary,

This does look like a very cool card. On the AJA website they mention the 2K workflows, and I was hoping you could clarify a few things.

Does the 3G card allow you work with existing DPX files directly or do you have to use the DPXToQT Translator to create reference QuickTime files? Is the latter workflow a pretty straight forward process.

How specifically are RED and Alexa workflows accelerated?

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

lonnie bell
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:19:56 am

If anyone's interested, I have a Kona 3 card that has seen so little use there is no need for me to own it.
I'd part with it for $1500. Guaranteed working and fully functional! Actually, if you know AJA's reputation and customer service, they back everything, including if you buy it used - they are amazing!

My email is Lonnie@mamasboyproductions.com if interested in saving some money...

Thanks,
Lonnie

Lonnie Bell
mamas boy productions
Las Vegas, NV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]