FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving an AJA Kona 2 PCI-x card ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Janicek
Saving an AJA Kona 2 PCI-x card ?
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:15:38 pm

We have all of our edit bays on newer PCI-e AJA Cards or IO/HD boxes. A recent small budget project gave me an idea I wanted to run by some of the experts here.

We have a PCI-e based max OSx Server computer that is hooked via PCI-e interface to a large 32TB raid box. Within that box are enough additional PCI-e slots, that I wondered if there were a nice solution to install a KONA 2 card we have on hand. This way, the server computer could be used for occasional overflow editing. I started researching for a "bridge card" that would convert the inboard PCIe slot forward to PCI-x thus allowing my older AJA card to function in the newer computer.

My search has located several options from:
http://www.plxtech.com/files/pdf/apps/ExpApp51_Riser_card.pdf
http://prostores1.carrierzone.com/servlet/beaglesoft_com/Detail?no=189

Has anyone had any luck doing such a thing. I'm not out to spend a lot, just thought it might be a way to put a near new AJA PCI-x card back into service for us.

Thanks in advance, Jim
jimj@cumulusent.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Saving an AJA Kona 2 PCI-x card ?
on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:58:35 pm

this is so stupid. Go to ebay, buy a used MAC G5 (don't you have one lying around, since you have a Kona 2) , and build a nice perfectly working FCP 6.x system with a Kona 2, with the OS-X 10.5.8 operating system.

You can get a G5 for practically nothing today, and use your Kona 2 correctly, without doing a "science project". And if you insist on having a capture station for your OS-X server (there are only 2 slots in an Apple XServe, and you will bog down your server when running an application, while trying to use it as a server), you are better off getting a $295 Blackmagic Decklink card (dare I say this on this forum).

You have to just stop this crap with the "science experiments". Even if it works - who cares. Buy an old G5, reuse your old G5 (I bet you have one) or if you insist, get the Decklink card, and be done with it.

No experiements. It's not cool, no matter what you think.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jim Janicek
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:13:26 am

Gee bob, wasn't really looking for that kind of opinion. We actually got rid of the G5 this card was originally in and if you read carefully, was simply looking for an offset to avoid buying a new card, when we spent a grand on this card just a year and half ago. I like experiments, but you're probably right about it bogging down the OSX server. Good point and probably not worth the time and brain damage.

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:54:07 pm

Those riser cards will not work to convert the PCIe to a PCIx for the AJA card. I took the time to call Gerald at AJA yesterday to ask him about it. the Kona card requires a 4 stream slot those risers are only for a single stream slot. Case closed. I'll lay off the rant Bob already did it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:15:23 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/38/867475

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]