FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Product Orientation

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Grizzle
AJA Product Orientation
on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:06:55 pm

I'm planning to purchase a new Mac Pro. I've never owned any AJA product and I'm not familiar with the product line.

I use FCP with a big library of DVCAM source materials, but now shooting exclusively Canon 5D Mk II.

Apple has discontinued their 30" Cinema Display, but I can get two of the new 27" LED Cinema Displays for about the same money in September.

My current monitors include a NTSC Sony broadcast with SMPTE phosphors and a 50" industrial Panasonic plasma. (Sorry, model numbers not close at hand.)

Secondary application: I've got a ton of consumer VHS and Betamax that I would like to digitally archive, with ingest via the Kona. Noted Bob Zelin's recommendation of Datavideo TC-1000 in a previous thread.

At first glance, the AJA KONA LHi looks like it would be a good match for me. But I would greatly appreciate confirmation or comments from people with experience.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: AJA Product Orientation
on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:03:42 pm

That is a very good choice. Its analog I/O has you covered for VHS and Betamax (I haven't seen one of those for years). And, you can also deal with HD-SDI in/out when you need it.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:41:09 pm

I would agree. The LHi is awesome.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 28, 2010 at 5:42:03 pm

I agree to. At under $1200 street price, the price/performance of the Kona LHi cannot be matched by any other product on the market. These days, the Kona LHi is my ONLY choice for capture/output card.
You will be very happy with your purchase.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Sep 3, 2010 at 3:14:21 pm

I've ordered the new 12-core Mac Pro with Apple hardware RAID card and the LHi card.

In another thread, I'm reading a big discussion about slot voodoo and wondering how this will impact my configuration.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this forum and the generous advice from experienced experts!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2010 at 10:41:36 pm

there is no slot voodoo. On modern MAC Pros, you have three open slots -
slot 1 is used by the graphics card, and is a x16 slot.
slot 2 is a x16 slot as well. It is your last open slot. No matter what you are told (like put the AJA card in here), you will find that many modern disk drive host controller cards will give you dramatically faster performance if you put them into slot 2. How much faster -between 100 and 200MB/sec faster. So it is to your benefit to put modern SAS/SATA host controllers in slot 2.

slot 3 and slot 4 are both x4 slots. Put your Kona card in one of these slots.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Oct 6, 2010 at 1:21:36 am

Bob,

My new machine has been delivered, along with the AJA LHi card. Apple mounted their hardware RAID card in slot 4, leaving slot 2 empty. As you warned, AJA recommends inserting the LHi in slot 2.

FWIW, I have all 4 internal bays populated with 2TB drive mechanisms. Is RAID 5 configuration sufficient for HDSLR editing with PRORES codecs?

Are you saying I should move the Apple RAID card to slot 2 for maximum throughput and run the AJA LHi in slot 3 or 4?

Thanks for your assistance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]