FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi Analog DV25 Upconvert

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Holcomb
Kona LHi Analog DV25 Upconvert
on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:33:09 am

I've spent a couple hours trying to figure this out and have tried searching before I posted this, so pardon the basic question.

I'm about to drop the cash on a Kona LHi and then figured out there's no way to connect it to the DSR-11 we're using right now. I'm working on a low budget feature doc for PBS and the idea is to mix in some older footage (from before we got funded) with all the new HD stuff we shot on various cameras and turn everything into Prores 422 before I send it off to the editor so she can concentrate on the artsy-fartsy stuff.

I'm guessing I need to borrow or rent a deck from someone, but then I read in the Kona 3 tutorial that while the cards have multiple outputs, the only input it accepts is SDI. So this means as well as finding a deck with BNC I'd also have to get the AJA HD10AVA as well? Or does LHi support analog input?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Kona LHi Analog DV25 Upconvert
on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:50:56 am

You read my tutorial, right? I was talking about the Kona 3. That only has SDI Inputs. The LHi has analog inputs...so it will work with the DSR-11. Use firewire as deck control, and connect via S-Video...or Composite. Or get a deck that has Component outputs and RS-422.

The DSR-11 really is only good for firewire captures...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gunter Hemeleers
on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:10:36 am

Hi,

The LHi has al the inputs you want, component, composite, S-video and all flavors of SDI.

I do agree that the DSR-11 isn't really the deck to use, try to get a DSR-45 at least to capture, the result will be a lot better. those should be really cheap to rent.

Hemeleers Gunter

Mac Pro, Imac 24", Macbook Pro 15" all intel

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:17:39 am

If you can get your hands on a DSR 1500 with the SDI option. I feel that would be the best low cost DVCAM deck for your workflow. You might be able to purchase one at a steal these days or as someone suggested look for a rental. Since you're going to broadcast, Capturing SDI while you up convert would give you a bump in quality versus going in composite or S Video.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]