FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD>SD Downconvert

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ana Yavari
HD>SD Downconvert
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:38:06 pm

Hello!

I have a 1080i 29.97 sequence from FCP that I'm trying to downconvert through Kona to output at 525i29.97 to a DVD player. It's working, however there is a LOT of aliasing and perhaps some small pixelation. For instance, I have timecode burnt into my picture, that is so pixelated in the video - that I can't read it. Anyone know how to solve this horrible quality?

Please help :)

Thanks,
Ana

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HD>SD Downconvert
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:14:14 pm

Are you using the AJA control panel to do your downconvert?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/869221

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ana Yavari
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:20:01 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly!

Yes, I'm using those exact settings and it's outputting looking pretty ok. But there's some bad aliasing or "jagger". The quality I would say is something like 70% and small print (not tiny, but small, something readable if I was outputting straight from SD sequence) is unreadable.

Do you know how to solve this quality issue?

Thanks,
Ana

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:23:04 pm

[Ana Yavari] "Do you know how to solve this quality issue?"

Make your text thicker. Or do a textless version and remake the text in SD.

When down converting you are making everything in your picture smaller. If you start out with thin and light text, it's only going to get worse in an interlaced SD stream.

Are you sure you FCP timeline is in the HD easy setup? Take a screen grab of your Kona control panel.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:31:51 pm

[Ana Yavari] "For instance, I have timecode burnt into my picture, that is so pixelated in the video - that I can't read it"

As in the Video > Timecode Reader Filter? That's not a realtime playout filter. You have to render the entire video before you can play it out.

It'll play in realtime so you can edit without having to render each clip as you go along, but if you want to play it out and have it look clean, it has to be rendered first. Then your output will be clean.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:41:50 pm

Also, make sure your Video Playback settings in FCP match your KONA Control Panel settings. In FCP, check under VIEW/Video Playback and make sure it is also set to 1080i/29.97. I usually only change it there as it automatically changes it in the KONA Control Panel but not vice versa.

tony

Return to posts index

Ana Yavari
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:42:42 pm

Thanks Tony, that was my problem!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:45:24 pm

As mentioned, selecting the HD easy setup will fix this, too. Control-q, then choose the AJA Kona easy setup that matches your timeline and footage.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]