FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pros released

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
New Mac Pros released
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:37:05 pm

New Mac Pros have been released. Orders are being taken.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.5.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: New Mac Pros released
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:32:52 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Orders are being taken."

I'd like a double 6core, on wheat. No tomato, extra RAM and a side of Kona.

To go.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:47:44 am

Coming right up!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.5.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:08:43 am

I really see no reason to order one quite honestly. FC Studio can't really take advantage of the improvements in the machine. If you're running Adobe CS5 and put the nVidia cards in there, you'll definitely be happy.

But here, we're just going to keep running the four Mac Pros we have and wait to see what Apple does in terms of a new Studio release. If it's "awesome" as Steve says it will be, then we'll consider new machines. If it's more of the same old, same old, we'll have to look elsewhere.

Apple has already completely screwed up the iMac lineup by removing Jumbo Frame support from the ethernet controllers. That removes those machines from being useful on our 32TB Ethernet SAN. In fact our Mac Pro Octo 2.93 required an Ethernet card to work with the SAN because that machine does not properly support Jumbo Frames either.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2010 at 12:56:29 pm

But I thought Wally Wants Toys? ;)

I agree. We aren't running out and getting Apple's 9ish-grand new toy. If you read between the lines though, it must mean something wicked this way comes in terms of applications to saddle up this beast. Or maybe my positive naïveté will leave me longing for more. Again.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 10, 2010 at 1:13:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you read between the lines though, it must mean something wicked this way comes in terms of applications to saddle up this beast. Or maybe my positive naïveté will leave me longing for more. Again."

Well, if you believe the rumors, we're going to get a souped up version of iMovie to replace FCP.

My feeling right now is the next version of FCP is the "put up or shut up" version. Either Apple great improves the RT functionality, the interoperability between apps, native workflow with MXF files, and opens up the app to easier workflows between Avid and Premiere.

If Apple can't deliver on those counts, there's really no reason to continue using the Studio suite on a day to day basis.

Personally I'm waiting to see if Avid is going to open up support for the Kona boards. If that happens, making the switch to Avid MC5 is going to be very easy on our end.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2010 at 1:52:11 pm

I hear that. Sorry to sway off topic here. With the advent of matrox support, it seems that Avid is dipping their toes in 3rd party support, but they have always been a hardware company. Time will tell.

That and it'd be nice to be able to double click an fcp project and have it open in Avid for all the times when we need to go back to older projects.

I am just hoping for FCP Awesome. And seriously, if you need native MXF support, there's MXF4mac. It is hands down been the best software add on to FCP since Color if using MXF. It's not real cheap, but it does the job.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:58:37 pm

To tell the truth, I'd love to be able to go the other way. I really like the Avid interface, but their hardware and support comes at a high price, and frankly, I think AJA does a better job with free support and better hardware for the dollar. I speak from a certain amount of experience, having been the exclusive Avid dealer in Hawaii for better than 5 years, in the mid 90's, when you could actually make some money selling Avid's in places other than Hollywood and NYC.

However, I just did a stage show job where it was very easy to see noise levels. XDcam EX transcoded both to ProRes HQ an Avid DNxHD (and the X version as well), and the ProRes HQ beat them both. I like ProRes. And I don't see Avid going to AJA. Composer 5 is a nice bit of software though. Obviously great media management. Perhaps they are getting the clue. XML export to FCP and Media 100 Suite 1.6.1 would be great for me, though.

In short, I hope Apple has the sense to really match their hardware and OS X with a full blown version of FCP Studio. Someone needs to create the content for this iMania. It would serve Apple well if it was on their platform with their software.

And back on topic, I have ordered a new Mac Pro and for someone who has been suffering on a G5 Quadcore PCIe, it will be a welcome day when it arrives.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.6.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz on order!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:04:10 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "And back on topic, I have ordered a new Mac Pro and for someone who has been suffering on a G5 Quadcore PCIe, it will be a welcome day when it arrives."

And that's exactly who should upgrade right now. You will notice a HUGE gain.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:32:55 pm

Absolutely. By coincidence I just received this from Boris-FCP to Avid:
http://www.borisfx.com/AAF/
May be of interest to you.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.6.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz on order!

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Aug 20, 2010 at 5:19:43 am

And I don't see Avid going to AJA
Avid DS AJA is a disabled Kona3 in a PC
Defeated is Control Panel UP/Down/Cross...422 control etc
DS is a hoss but... FS1 or Kona3 in a macpro opens the possibilities.
I'd love to be able to capture on a DS for Media composer etc Avid family but it's a one way street and you can't get there from here.
support is not AJA but Avid....

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]