FORUMS: list search recent posts

Running Kona 3 AND io HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Kesler
Running Kona 3 AND io HD
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:17:45 pm

I am running a MacPro with an AJA ioHD for FCP. Mostly for ProRes HD offline editing, but lately I'm finding the need to finish in native 2K for compositing and CC with Apple Color. The ioHD doesn't output 2K for use in Apple Color or After Effects and I'm thinking about purchasing a Kona 3 card to do so.

Can I install the Kona 3 in the same MacPro and use the ioHD for offline HD editing, etc. and easily switch to the Kona card for conform, compositing and color? Or, do I really just need only the Kona 3 card in this machine and can I still do my capture/playback in ProRes422 for offline with it and then recapture or transcode to 2K for finishing?

Thanks in advance.

Eddie

http://www.jamedit.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Running Kona 3 AND io HD
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:26:39 pm

no. Buy an AJA A/D converter (cheap) and you don't need the I/O HD any longer.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:41:20 pm

Thanks, Bob, but I don't totally follow you. Can you elaborate? Why an A/D converter?

I don't necessarily want to render the ioHD useless. It's working fine for offline ProRes editing. I would probably put it on another MacPro for that purpose, I just wanted to know if the Kona 3 can replace the ioHD for both ProRes and uncompressed editing/compositing or does it have to be one or the other?

http://www.jamedit.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2010 at 10:59:52 pm

There is no reason to use both unless there are ports you need that the K3 doesn't have (Analog video or HDMI) So Bob is saying you can just get a converter if you need the analog. The Kona3 doesn't need to have a ProRes encoder on it because the system is fast enough to encode in RT while capturing.

So K3 card is great for Uncompressed, ProRes, DVCProHD and a bunch of other things.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: unning Kona 3 AND io HD
on Aug 2, 2010 at 11:33:38 pm

Since v7.5 (or the one before) you can have multiple AJA devices in one machine.

Simply install both sets of drivers and open the control panelntonswitch between devices. It's pretty awesome.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]