FORUMS: list search recent posts

1440x1080 ProRes 8-Bit playback only

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
1440x1080 ProRes 8-Bit playback only
on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:58:49 pm

This is the first time I'm using thin raster ProRes. I'm converting HDV to ProRes in compressor but leaving the PAR the same as source. (I will probably redo the transcode to 1920x but would like to see if there is just a setting I'm missing.)

Clips and sequence match, set the video out to AJA Kona3 1080i29.97 10 Bit, when FCP is active the control panel's Frame Buffer displays 1080i29.97/DVCProHD50 (yes that is what I get) I also get this if I'm playing the footage in AJA TV. On still image is there, on playback the goes green wavy mess. Change the video out to 8-Bit and playback is fine, which would make sense for a DVCProHD frame buffer.

Question is why does the Kona frame buffer see this as DVCProHD?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: 1440x1080 ProRes 8-Bit playback only
on Aug 2, 2010 at 10:56:20 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Question is why does the Kona frame buffer see this as DVCProHD?"

I have seen this on non intel computers or on files that were processed on non intel computers, since ProRes is a scalar codec the lower powered machines can only handle so much of the processing in real time.

FYI - do not send that thin raster prores file to anything- even color hates them.

you know the drill...

facts and figures on machine, OS software.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: 1440x1080 ProRes 8-Bit playback only
on Aug 2, 2010 at 11:06:48 pm

8-Core Mac Pro 2,1 3GHz
8 GB of memory
OS 10.6.4
FCP 7.0.2
AJA 8.0 NDD

Re-trancoded to full raster and 10-bit plays back fine. I get the YUV-10b in frame buffer now. SInce it is coming it is doing the same thing in AJA TV with just a single clip, I'm thinking that Compressor is making the PR file only 8 Bits.

This will probably end up in Color (if they will stop making chances) so thanks for the heads up on the 1440 issue there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]