FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio bit depth....any defacto standards out there?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Spiller
audio bit depth....any defacto standards out there?
on Sep 11, 2014 at 7:46:08 pm

I'm digitizing a large quantity of SD 1" tapes and the client wants 10 bit uncompressed video files for archival purposes. I asked about audio, but they are not technically inclined.
The few SD uncompressed files that I see come through seem to have different audio bit depths. Seems like I see 16 bit a little more often. Always 48kHz sampling though.
My Kona card can do 16, 24 and 32, but the Leitch analog to SDI hardware that I'm using before the Kona card is doing 24 bit A-D conversion.
Is 16 bit more or less...a standard in this situation or should I create the file using 24 bit depth...since that's what my hardware is originally doing?
Would anyone have trouble dealing with an uncompressed 10 bit SD video file that had 24 bit audio tracks?

Return to posts index

David Kuhnen
Re: audio bit depth....any defacto standards out there?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 2:57:16 pm

I'll jump on this discussion as well...

Hey, if they can actually handle 10 bit uncompressed video, then 24 bit audio will be a "walk in the park"

16 bit is the most common (in the video world) but virtually any app that can handle 16 bit can also handle 24 bit.

Coming from 1" tape you'll never hear a difference, so do what whatever you feel is right. And yes, stick with 48K.

David Kuhnen
BVK-Milwaukee
Video Editor/Engineer

Return to posts index

Guy Spiller
Re: audio bit depth....any defacto standards out there?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 3:08:43 pm

I did notice that the audio was fixed at 16 bit when using the Kona LHe in FCP7 when capturing video in 10 bit uncompressed mode.
It's when I switched to Premier 5.5 using the Kona that I noticed all the options for audio bit depth doing uncompressed 10 bit video captures.
I guess I'll just go with 16 bit for this project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]