FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing SD to ProRes

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Mushinskie
Capturing SD to ProRes
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:15:28 pm

I'd love to be able to digitize footage directly into Final Cut as Pro Res. I thought I would be able to do that with my Kona2. I'm just digitizing SD material from a beta. I select AJA Kona 2 - NTSC Apple ProRess 422 as my Easy Setup. When I go to capture, it still captures everything as Uncompressed. (Despite the fact that under Audio/Video Settings it reads "AJA Kona2: 525 29.97 Apple ProRes 422".

When I look at the capture presets it reads under Quicktime Video settings: Digitizer: AJA 10-bit Digitizer, Compressor: Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2. However in the summary area it says "Apple ProRes422 at best quality"

If I change the Digitizer to ProRes I get an error message when I try capturing.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Capturing SD to ProRes
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:34:10 pm

The kona 2 is a pci/x bus card, you can only capture as ProRes on an intel computer, and the intel machines are all pcie as far as I know.

What computer are you trying to capture on?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chris Mushinskie
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:21:31 pm

Yeah my system is a dual 2.5 Ghz G5. I knew that capturing HD resolution footage as ProRes on a PowerPC was not an option, but for some reason I thought I would be able to capture SD footage directly as ProRes.

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Jun 24, 2010 at 3:02:08 pm

Actually you can capture ProRes with a G5. We have a dual 2,3 Ghz Model with a Lhe and do that all the time. But we only use it for capturing Digi-Beta SD-Stuff to ProRes (SQ)
However the G5 is probably too slow to capture HD in ProRes with the AjA board, though I never really tested it. (But it works over firewire for HDV sources)
But I´m not sure about the Kona 2. Does it really support ProRes?? You probably then have a PCI-X machine as Gary points out. Not sure about that, but our "late" G5 PCIe-Model does the Trick ;-)

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 27, 2010 at 10:42:31 pm

Not sure what the problem is, but you can MOST DEFINITELY capture and edit with ProRes in SD on that machine. My previous computer was a Dual 2.0 and I did it all the time before upgrading to a Mac Pro. HD is a total no-go, but SD worked fine.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 27, 2010 at 10:43:49 pm

And yes, I had a Kona 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]