FORUMS: list search recent posts

Older box with kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Sebeck
Older box with kona 3
on Jun 21, 2010 at 8:17:42 pm

Can you use an older kbox with a kona3 card? Or does it have to be a k3 box?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Older box with kona 3
on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:10:17 pm

It has to be a K3 box. Yes, it is a pain in the butt that all of these cards -
Kona 3
Kona 2
Kona LHi
Kona LHe
Kona LH
Kona LS

all have unique boxes, and the boxes and their corresponding cables are all unique.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Rick Sebeck
on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:26:44 pm

Thanks bob,
That's what i thought. I was able to get a kona3 card off eBay for $870. I saw some kboxes for $50 I knew my luck was going to run out!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:37:53 pm

rick -
where are you working now, now that you are no longer with Fusion ?

Bob

Return to posts index

Rick Sebeck
on Jun 22, 2010 at 12:32:58 am

I took the leap -and am starting my own creative production/post boutique. I was going to drop you a line to ask recommendations on best bang foryourbuck products. Now that it is my money on the line, making big purchases is so much more stressful. I have been putting off updating my Mac pro for 2months now because of all these darn rummors! Of course the biggest hurdle is external storage. I know I should grow slow, but I feel like I\'m wasting money buying sata cards and external enclosures that can\'t grow into a San environment. But droping $10-20k isn\'t an option. I read one of your posts last week where you told someone not to buy a San if you don\'t need it because they will be faster, bigger and cheaper the longer you wait. That gave me some piece of mind. So what would you recommend for uncompressed HD external storage? At fusion we used sonnet d500 boxes. They were okay. But i haven\'t used anyothersimilar external enclosures so I can\'t compare.

Anyway-- it\'s exciting being the boss -- but it definitely is a different kind of stress. I\'m sure I\'ll be on the cow picking everyones brain!

-Rick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:24:19 am

you don't want the d500 boxes from Sonnet. Sonnet makes GREAT new RAID 5 SATA drive arrays, just like Maxx Digital, but these are expensive too. All the good products from others, like Cal Digit, G-Tech, etc. are ALL expensive - no $1000 solutions that are reliable.
What is reliable and cheap are single SATA drives, which you can use now to "get by", and use as backup drives when you can afford a pro RAID 5 system.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]