FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 mirrored image

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Rangott
Kona 3 mirrored image
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:43:55 am

Hi Everyone,

Ill just describe my basic setup and then the problem.

I have an edit suite with OSX and FCP running a KONA 3 card. The mac is outputting two DVI signals to two 30 inch displays while the KONA 3 is outputing via SDI to a JVC DT-V1710Cg monitor for our colour grading.

My problem is I need to mirror the output of the KONA 3 to the top display monitor and the colour monitor at the same time. My first thought was Ill just use the output on the monitor to feed a signal to the top LCD.

But after looking around it seems I cant convert a SDI connection to DVI without a conversion box, starting at $550 AUD minimum.

Ive read into component, vga and DVI switching for a similar problem and I know that switching digital and analogue is not possible without a conversion box, but I assume SDI is digital and therefore converting to DVI shouldn't be too difficult. I think its the bandwidth of SDI to DVi is the problem.

Another thought was to setup FCP to output to 2 monitors and skip the wiring altogether but we also need it to work with AE and Color.

Is there another solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona 3 mirrored image
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:02:25 pm

[Stephen Rangott] "My problem is I need to mirror the output of the KONA 3 to the top display monitor and the colour monitor at the same time. "

Why?

[Stephen Rangott] "I think its the bandwidth of SDI to DVi is the problem. "

If it's a 30" monitor, then you would need an SDI to Dual link DVI converter.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Stephen Rangott
on Jun 6, 2010 at 5:49:53 am

Hi Jeremy,

Its mostly a cosmetic issue. When we have open days it would be nice and impressive to have both screens outputting the same image. As far as workflow goes its unnecesary.

From my forum searching and basic research on SDI I figured it was impossible I just wanted to be %100 sure it wasnt possible without the converter box before I told my boss it isnt possible.

Thanks for the reply,

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:24:07 pm

[Stephen Rangott] "From my forum searching and basic research on SDI I figured it was impossible"

It's not impossible, you would just need an HDSDI to dual link DVI converter. FCP won't allow you to output to Digital Cinema desktop and via an external capture card at the same time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Stephen Rangott
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:36:49 am

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry what I meant to say was that it was impossible without the converter box.

I wasnt sure about the possible output options if FCP but you did just save me a lot of searching.

Thanks for all the help!

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]